You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-25 16:38:21

drcouzelis
Website

Arch Linux PPC Repositories

drcouzelis wrote:

I installed Arch Linux PPC last month. The PPC repositories still work. They are not current, but I haven't looked into how "not current" they are.

After a base install, I'd say about one third of the packages I installed were by using the ABS, including OpenBox. The Arch Linux PPC repositories only seem to host [core] and some of [extra]. "libpng" and "libjpg" being out of date was a little bit of a problem, but not much.

Since installing the OS, I received a few updates through pacman.

n1md4 wrote:

Thanks drcouzelis, for the record what's your mirrorlist look like?

drcouzelis wrote:

I'm at work right now. I can post it when I get home if you want, but it's nothing special; it's just the default five (I think) mirrors in the default order, all uncommented.

By the way, I find that the PPC repository sites can be a little flaky. Sometimes I have to try a pacman command two or three times before it will properly connect and download a package.

I'm using packer as an AUR helper. I'd like to use an "ABS helper", but haven't really found one that I have been able to use. The biggest problem is that, after using the "abs" command, the ABS tree is full of "i686" and "x86_64" packages. Most of them compile and work just fine, but I have to add "ppc" to the "arch" like in the PKGBUILD file for every package. hmm

n1md4 wrote:

Thanks, drcouzelis.  Yeah, I'd appreciate the defaults again, if only to compare with what I've got.

I'd like to know what's involved in hosting and maintaining a ppc repo, if anyone could post/PM me useful links/docs/etc, t'would be grand.

Here is my mirrorlist:

#
## $repo: Arch Linux PPC @REPO@ repository
##
#
# Europe
Server = ftp://archlinuxppc.org/$repo/os/ppc
#Server = ftp://ftp1.archlinuxppc.org/$repo/os/ppc
Server = ftp://ftp2.archlinuxppc.org/$repo/os/ppc
Server = http://archlinuxppc.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/archlinuxppc/$repo/os/ppc
Server = http://mir2.archlinuxfr.org/archlinux/$repo/os/ppc
# Setup-Entry
#Server = ftp1.archlinuxppc.org/mirrorlist/os/ppc

I don't know what's involved in hosting and maintaining a PPC package repository.

#2 2010-02-25 16:55:40

n1md4

Re: Arch Linux PPC Repositories

Appreciated drcouzelis, I'll check the mirrors against mine.

I don't know what's involved in hosting and maintaining a PPC package repository.

I found the relevant thread:-

ArchLinux PPC, call for help by DaNiMoTh

#3 2010-02-26 02:28:53

Gen2ly
Website

Been thinking about fixing up an old iBook, this could definitely help... Not to sound ooof but have you contacted the maintainers about uploading the packages?  Be pretty nice if packages were all were put together.  But ... eh smile.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#4 2010-02-26 10:11:51

DaNiMoTh

We provides the most-used packages as possible. For others.. yes, you need to compile it yourself smile

I started a thread some times ago, asking our user subscribed to mailing list what DE they used. The answers was:

2 KDE
2 XFCE
2 GNOME
1 LXDE
1 Awesome
1 Fluxbox

We're providing the most used packages ( and a web pkgstats for us will be very useful ).

But it's time to talk about a community repo, if contributions start to be effectively.

Board footer