You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-26 17:29:54

linuxguy0481

Can I make KDE or Gnome look like Windows 7

The reason I want to do this is for my wife who for the most part has used Windows. I did a trial run with Kubuntu for about a month but it was a no go. She could not get used to it. Also if I recommend a Linux distribution to friends and family this will make it a easier transition for them.

I did a Google search and found a transition package for both Gnome and KDE but sadly it was for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I was just wondering if this will work with Arch Linux with some substitutes of course. Thank you.

#2 2010-02-26 17:51:37

Bregol

Re: Can I make KDE or Gnome look like Windows 7

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph … ent=104232
I assume that is what you found.

If all it is is plasma theme, icons, color scheme, sounds, etc., it should work with any flavor of linux - it just skins different components of KDE.  You should be able to look at the install script and adapt it to whatever flavor of linux, since it probably is geared towards using apt or something to do its installs.  Actually, looking through the comments on that page, looks like someone has already looked at removing the parts dependent on Kubuntu:
http://www.234.co.nz/?p=112

In addition to this sort of themeing, you can also skin firefox to look like IE if she is more comfortable with IE as a web browser.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#3 2010-02-26 17:52:42

panuh

What does the transition package do? Is it just about looks or are there any major similarities to Win-Layout?
There was kind of a big change between XP and Vista, too. How'd she get used to that?

If it can be done in Ubuntu, why not in Arch. Check out what the .deb contains and what it depends on and try to imitate it.

However, when I have friends try Linux I mostly go for Ubuntu. I don't want to maintain their systems and the Installation is mostly done whithin a cup of coffee. If they're into advancing then, I'll gladly help them but they'll have to ask big_smile

Said short:
What's exactly supposed to be Windows like? (Menus, Shapes, Stab-ability...)
If there's the possibility of using Ubuntu and such, why not? (I guess most just want to use it, not configure it)

#4 2010-02-26 17:57:17

Skripka

panuh wrote:

There was kind of a big change between XP and Vista, too. How'd she get used to that?

This is what I was wondering.  Getting rooted to one particular GUI is a bad idea, because sooner or later it will change.  I don't get the whole "comfortable" idea-but then again I'm used to things changing rapidly and getting over it.

FYI-The Stasks plasmoid provides the Aero Peek functionality.

#5 2010-02-26 18:32:37

linuxguy0481

panuh wrote:

What does the transition package do? Is it just about looks or are there any major similarities to Win-Layout?

Here is the Gnome link:

http://aminesoft.wordpress.com/2009/03/ … windows-7/

Here is the KDE link:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph … ent=104232

The XP to Vista wasn't as a big jump for her and other people I know. They just had to be shown some changes in the next 10 minutes or so.

She does like the Taskbar in Windows, the Start menu, the easy to spot red X to close the program and the Explorer layout.

If I customize the look in Arch Linux as I can with Ubuntu it will be an end to dual booting Windows. Also sometimes my wife takes the laptop to other family members house because she needs to get caught in school. She goes to a online university. Sometimes other family members want to use the laptop to check email and other things. Installing a Windows 7 transformation package will be easier for them too. I hope someone can help out.

#6 2010-02-26 19:01:26

panuh

No offence but for me it sounds much like she just doesn't want to get used to it. On XP she probably could live without a red closing button, too. So this seems more like resisting any kind of change that doesn't come with a fancy new computer.

However. If you insist on trying to imitate the environment yourself it will take a lot of your own work. I don't believe there is a completely automized way to do this in Arch. If you have a close look on how it works for the packages you posted you should be able to do it, though.

Anyhow. I think you should go with (K)ubuntu if there is no definite reason why you would need to use Arch.

Board footer