You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-27 03:58:00

japtar10101

Empathy not connecting with AIM

I didn't know where to post this, so I'll ask here tongue.

Lately, I've been having Network Errors with Empathy on my AIM account.  I remember bumping into a similar problem in Pidgin where, due to updated servers, AIM couldn't communicate with SSL encryption.  I don't see this option in Empathy, though, so I'm not sure how to fix it.  The rest of my accounts are fine, too.

Here's the advanced settings for my AIM account:

server: login.messaging.aol.com
port: 5190

#2 2010-03-04 16:33:59

stevefed5291
Website

Re: Empathy not connecting with AIM

I've never used empathy, but is there a 'use client login' option like there is in pidgin? Because I've had problems with that before.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" -Albert Einstein

#3 2010-03-12 03:50:41

Maelos

Unfortunatly Empathy does not have that option, this doesnt seem to be Arch specific as Ive encountered it on other distros. From what I have read elsewhere its related to libpurple somehow. Havent found a fix yet, but Ill update this thread when I do.

***EDIT***
Did a little more digging, found this link, scrolling down gets you this information:

I can't connect to my AIM/ICQ account anymore

You need to change an advanced configuration option. Open a terminal and type the following commands to get the name of your AIM/ICQ account:

$ mc-tool list | grep icq
$ mc-tool list | grep aim

Then change the option using:

$ mc-tool update <aim account name> bool:use-clientlogin=0

Did this for both AIM and ICQ, logging in fine now.

Last edited by Maelos (2010-03-12 04:08:03)

#4 2010-03-13 18:24:22

trusktr
Banned
Website

so for it to work, should my command look something like this?:

mc-tool update username0 bool:use-clientlogin=0

After entering that, it said "Segmentation fault"

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#5 2010-03-13 18:38:20

Maelos

When you do the

mc-tool list | grep ***

command you need to type ALL of the output as your username for the next command, not just your actual username.

#6 2010-03-13 21:55:23

trusktr
Banned
Website

Awesome, this worked!!! wooo!! seems that Empathy needs this option integrated into the interface.

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#7 2010-04-26 18:26:50

scubanator87

Maelos wrote:

Unfortunatly Empathy does not have that option, this doesnt seem to be Arch specific as Ive encountered it on other distros. From what I have read elsewhere its related to libpurple somehow. Havent found a fix yet, but Ill update this thread when I do.

***EDIT***
Did a little more digging, found this link, scrolling down gets you this information:

I can't connect to my AIM/ICQ account anymore

You need to change an advanced configuration option. Open a terminal and type the following commands to get the name of your AIM/ICQ account:

$ mc-tool list | grep icq
$ mc-tool list | grep aim

Then change the option using:

$ mc-tool update <aim account name> bool:use-clientlogin=0

Did this for both AIM and ICQ, logging in fine now.

Thanks this worked for me :-D

#8 2010-05-05 02:29:58

jowilkin

Arg, getting sick of pidgin and want to use empathy, but I can't get it to work.  I tried the fix suggested in this thread, but no dice

> mc-tool list
haze/aim/jtw01280

> mc-tool update haze/aim/jtw0128 bool:use-clientlogin=0
mc-tool: haze/aim/jtw0128: Method "GetAll" with signature "s" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

Am I missing a package or something?

#9 2010-05-05 04:51:41

oldmerovingian

I think I may have had this problem, and all I did was disable SSL Login. 

If I remember correctly.

#10 2010-05-05 20:27:22

jowilkin

Pidgin has the option to disable ssl login, but as far as I can tell, empathy does not.  Unless it requires some voodoo mc-tool command similar to the one to disable client login.

#11 2012-03-15 14:32:09

hamidgeabee

jowilkin wrote:

Arg, getting sick of pidgin and want to use empathy, but I can't get it to work.  I tried the fix suggested in this thread, but no dice

> mc-tool list
haze/aim/jtw01280

> mc-tool update haze/aim/jtw0128 bool:use-clientlogin=0
mc-tool: haze/aim/jtw0128: Method "GetAll" with signature "s" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

Am I missing a package or something?

You didn't put the 0 on the end of your username like the mc-tool output displayed.  You have to copy it exactly.  I did the same thing the first time I ran the command. Not that this is necessarily still relevant since your post is about 2 years old, but it could help someone else that is still looking for this answer.

#12 2012-05-21 12:59:10

SulucOhmun

It should be noted that AIM has a function that allows a desktop user to TEXT MESSAGE (SMS) a cell phone by starting a conversation with the users entire phone number prefixed with + symbol.

Empathy fails with an error when trying to text message a cell phone using AIM unless this 'fix' is applied, after it is applied all contacts in my AIM buddy list that are 'phone numbers' instantly showed 'online' instead of 'offline' and it allowed me to send SMS text messages to any phone.

I hope this information helps someone, I discovered this by chance and it solved two of my issues with empathy.

Board footer