You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-27 13:26:23

rookie

zip drive

Hello to all!

I'm new to ArchLinux but i have some experience on Linux general. I downloaded and installed the ArchLinux 0.7 base. I have a Iomega Zip 250 ATAPI drive on my system but i can't make it work!

When booting i get the following messages:

hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 250 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
hdc: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04

The point is that there is no /dev/hdc device or anything else related to my zip drive. The kernel installed is 2.6 IDE. Can that be the problem?

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 2005-03-02 18:09:05

Win

Re: zip drive

Hi rookie.

You might want to take a look at the IOmega site for a copy of their Linux tools:

http://www.iomega.com/software/linuxtools.html

According to this site, you'll need to have /dev/hdc work with the ide-scsi device driver. To set this up, change /etc/lilo.conf (if you're using lilo):

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

or and the following option to the "kernel" line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (if you're using grub):

hdc=ide-scsi

Note: This will only go into effect if you reboot after changing the configuration.

This should make the Zip drive accessible during the boot process and should remove the error message you're reporting.

Next you'll need to configure /etc/fstab to be able  to mount the Zip drive with a line something like:

/dev/hdc /mnt/zip vfat defaults,user,noauto 0 0

since Zip drives are normally formatted as FAT drives ("vfat"), you want to gain access to them as a regular user ("user"), and they are not always connected to the computer so you don't want them automatically mounted when you're booting ("noauto"). Of course, you can change these to suit your situation.

You'll also need to make, as root or using sudo, a zip drive directory under /mnt, for example:

sudo mkdir /mnt/zip

If all goes well, you should be able to mount the zip drive as a regular user:

mount /mnt/zip

Regards,

Win

#3 2005-03-04 19:31:08

rookie

Thank you for your reply Win!

I suppose that the scsi kernel is required since adding the option you said to the kernel line in menu.lst gave me no result.

Can i just install the kernel with scsi support and remove the ide one, or i have to reinstall the whole system? Compiling the kernel from scratch is not an option at this point since i' m not THAT experienced on linux!

#4 2005-03-04 19:37:49

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

In the ide kernel, scsi support is compiled as modules.  Try adding ide-scsi (I'm not sure about the name) to the MODULES array in your /etc/rc.conf.

#5 2005-03-06 15:31:09

rookie

Thank you Snowman!

The module was already there but disabled!

MODULES=(!usbserial ide-scsi)

Just had to remove the !.

Board footer