You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-26 13:11:35

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

xxxterm

A minimalist VI/webkit based browser from OpenBSD land.  Kind of like Vimprobable.

Release announcement
Homepage
AUR: xxxterm
AUR: xxxterm-cvs

#2 2010-02-26 13:48:22

n0dix

Re: xxxterm

Thanks for the contribution!!!

#3 2010-02-26 14:56:34

lolilolicon

Looks nice, thanks keenerd.

But by far, I really like the vimperator behavior the best; if only there's a webkit-based web browser that behaves just like vimperator. I like its command + status bar and minimal UI very much.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#4 2010-02-26 16:13:45

ataraxia

I see it's by the same developer as scrotwm.

#5 2010-02-26 16:26:51

dunz0r
Website

lolilolicon wrote:

But by far, I really like the vimperator behavior the best; if only there's a webkit-based web browser that behaves just like vimperator. I like its command + status bar and minimal UI very much.

Tried Uzbl? I've configured mine to act almost exactly like vimperator.

RTFM or GTFO
hax0r.se

#6 2010-02-26 16:27:48

JohannesSM64
Website

ataraxia wrote:

I see what you did there..
dunz0r: care to share?

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-02-26 16:29:17)

#7 2010-02-26 16:46:53

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

ataraxia wrote:

Yeah.  I could almost directly reuse the PKGBUILD.  Maybe I should not have posted it in this subforum?  Nowhere else really seemed appropriate.  Surely the *BSDs count as an "extended community".

#8 2010-02-26 17:02:41

lolilolicon

dunz0r wrote:
lolilolicon wrote:

Tried Uzbl? I've configured mine to act almost exactly like vimperator.

Yeah, that'd be nice smile
I didn't try uzbl extensively due to some nifty addons for firefox. Also, if the config file were nicer, I might have dug deeper.... roll

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#9 2010-02-26 18:06:36

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Big change to the CVS PKGBUILD; rebuilding all of webkit was overkill.

I highly recommend you use the CVS version, it is a ways ahead of the last snapshot.

#10 2010-02-26 18:22:52

panuh

lolilolicon wrote:

Apart from uzbl, have you tried vimprobable?
I think it works perfectly like vimperator. I'm using it for almost all of my everyday browsing. However, it's still got its small problems so I still use vimperator for some tasks. But actually that's only online banking and Yahoo Mail.

I'm still looking for a nice Vimperator-like text based browser... Looking for one unfortunately ends up finding masses of hints on the vikeys option in lynx for me which doesn't really do it.

#11 2010-02-26 21:40:46

skanky

keenerd wrote:

Big change to the CVS PKGBUILD; rebuilding all of webkit was overkill.
I highly recommend you use the CVS version, it is a ways ahead of the last snapshot.

Very nice - very quick. Seems to be  faster than (my install of) uzbl - though that may be my set-up of uzbl. They do both use webkit but the difference seems to be in js stuff - so may be related to how that's handled?

Some shortcomings though, or at least I can't find them:

1) Can't seem to close it if the page/tab is empty. C-Q doesn't work and killing it using M-x (in scrotwm) leaves the process orphaned. This may be user error.

2) I'm probably missing something, but how do you add favourites?

3) No way to add extra bindings?

4) No way to trigger a web search if the "fancy" bar is disabled?

I'll be using this & uzbl and will let my habits or pains determine which wins. smile

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#12 2010-02-26 22:01:39

ilembitov

A little OT here. I guess, it's a question that is relevant to all these browsers (surf, uzbl, etc). How does one use /etc/hosts to block ads?

#13 2010-02-26 22:08:50

skanky

I haven't gotten around to setting that up yet, but the bloke who wrote xxxterm, Marco Peereboom has an adsuck dns application that looks interesting, as an alternative - esp. if you have multiple machines.

See http://www.peereboom.us/adsuck/index.html

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#14 2010-02-27 10:31:45

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

skanky wrote:

I haven't gotten around to setting that up yet, but the bloke who wrote xxxterm, Marco Peereboom has an adsuck dns application that looks interesting, as an alternative - esp. if you have multiple machines.

ugh. this just makes things less transparent. (re false positives). /etc/hosts is more simple and elegant imho.  And if you want to share the blacklist over multiple hosts you can set up dnsmasq to resolve dns based on your /etc/hosts

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#15 2010-02-27 11:33:51

ilembitov

Well, the question is where one gets those lists.

As for the browser itself - I hope, the developer will consider adding tabs support (or something similar). Judging by the functionality of scrotwm he doesn't seem to take the whole UNIX-way thing to an extreme like others do (uzbl, surf). And I hope he will bring the whole window management thing from VIM (like splitting the screen, etc.)

Edit: My bad. It actually HAS tabs. That's just way too cool.

Last edited by ilembitov (2010-02-27 11:36:56)

#16 2010-02-27 12:19:59

ilembitov

skanky wrote:

There should be a file called favorites. It has the instructions for adding bookmarks there. Nasty, but I guess, it will be improved (I mean, a keybinding to add the page automatically).

#17 2010-02-27 12:25:31

ilembitov

Another question - is there a way to use mplayer for HTML5 (ogg and H264) and Flash (at least YouTube files) automatically? I mean, to have an mplayr instance embedded whenever a YouTube/HTML5 video file is found? Or will this be an overkill and I should just use youtube-dl thing?

I mean, I know that WebKitGTK+ browsers should be able to handle that with Gstreamer. But since I'll be using mplayer anyways (and herrie for audio), I don't really need gstreamer installed. However, if a Gstreamer-based videoplayer with no dependencies (apart from GTK and Gstreamer) and keyboard-friendly interface with no menu-tabs and toolbars (may be just a vim-esque statusbar to show current position and command completition) emerges, I'll gladly abandon MPlayer (gstreamer seems to handle everything I need).

#18 2010-02-27 12:42:00

marco_p

Dieter@be wrote:
skanky wrote:

ugh. this just makes things less transparent. (re false positives). /etc/hosts is more simple and elegant imho.  And if you want to share the blacklist over multiple hosts you can set up dnsmasq to resolve dns based on your /etc/hosts

Not quite.  Hosts are a linear lookup every time running in browser context.  For example if you have 10000 entries and you put stupidadcrap.google.com at spot 9999 just about every site you surf to pays that in latency to read and process 9998 entries.

#19 2010-02-27 12:44:40

marco_p

ilembitov wrote:

Another question - is there a way to use mplayer for HTML5 (ogg and H264) and Flash (at least YouTube files) automatically? I mean, to have an mplayr instance embedded whenever a YouTube/HTML5 video file is found? Or will this be an overkill and I should just use youtube-dl thing?

I mean, I know that WebKitGTK+ browsers should be able to handle that with Gstreamer. But since I'll be using mplayer anyways (and herrie for audio), I don't really need gstreamer installed. However, if a Gstreamer-based videoplayer with no dependencies (apart from GTK and Gstreamer) and keyboard-friendly interface with no menu-tabs and toolbars (may be just a vim-esque statusbar to show current position and command completition) emerges, I'll gladly abandon MPlayer (gstreamer seems to handle everything I need).

I my infinite wisdom i overwrote the mime handler diff yesterday.  I'll start on it again today.  It'll deal with audio and video.  Flash I don't know; can't test it.

#20 2010-02-27 12:48:04

marco_p

ilembitov wrote:
skanky wrote:

There should be a file called favorites. It has the instructions for adding bookmarks there. Nasty, but I guess, it will be improved (I mean, a keybinding to add the page automatically).

Don't forget that this code is under development.  Favorites currently are a proof of concept and I'll move those to the vi :marks interface using ma and 'a to mark link a and go to mark a respectively.  So the :favadd and :fav commands will be deprecated soon so don't get too attached to it.  I do like the fake webpage that shows up to click on to favorites/bookmark thing so I'll keep that.

#21 2010-02-27 14:37:27

skanky

marco_p wrote:
ilembitov wrote:
skanky wrote:

Don't forget that this code is under development.  Favorites currently are a proof of concept and I'll move those to the vi :marks interface using ma and 'a to mark link a and go to mark a respectively.  So the :favadd and :fav commands will be deprecated soon so don't get too attached to it.  I do like the fake webpage that shows up to click on to favorites/bookmark thing so I'll keep that.

Okay thanks. Was just checking that I wasn't missing anything obvious. I quite like the fake webpage as well.
I like the look of it so far, thanks for it. smile

#22 2010-02-27 17:36:50

ilembitov

marco_p wrote:

I my infinite wisdom i overwrote the mime handler diff yesterday.  I'll start on it again today.  It'll deal with audio and video.  Flash I don't know; can't test it.

Oh, that's good. That handler will work via Gstreamer, or any given video player? And why can't you test YouTube & co?

#23 2010-02-28 00:53:36

marco_p

ilembitov wrote:
marco_p wrote:

Oh, that's good. That handler will work via Gstreamer, or any given video player? And why can't you test YouTube & co?

Flash is an abomination and easily the worst thing that has happened to the net.  I categorically refuse to use it.  If someone wants flash support I'll take a diff provided it isn't intrusive and doesn't break functionality I use.  I certainly will not write that code.

MIME support is in the latest snapshot.  I added all kinds of goodies to that.

#24 2010-02-28 07:12:55

ilembitov

marco_p wrote:
ilembitov wrote:
marco_p wrote:

Flash is an abomination and easily the worst thing that has happened to the net.  I categorically refuse to use it.  If someone wants flash support I'll take a diff provided it isn't intrusive and doesn't break functionality I use.  I certainly will not write that code.

MIME support is in the latest snapshot.  I added all kinds of goodies to that.

No, you got me wrong. I am not asking you to add support for flash (I know you're an OpenBSD user, so you simply don't have it). What I am talking about was somewhat implemented here: http://blog.kov.eti.br/?p=103

#25 2010-02-28 10:45:17

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Of what I could see it was impossible to browse without mouse, it would be awesome if this got similar linkfollowing compared to uzbl.

Board footer