You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-27 13:20:06

theking2
Banned

Installing arch on a EeeBox with preinstalled XP

As I'm in the process of installing Arch on me EeeBox n206 in addition to the Microsoft Windows XP-sp3 installation I assumed that this might be interesting for other users as well.

The EeeBox comes out of factory installed with two partitions at the end of the disk.  A hidden resque partition /dev/sda2 (5G) and a "EFI" speed boot partition /dev/sda3 (64M). After letting the installation of XP do it thing there is an NTFS partion /dev/sda1 (40G). I did not want to get rid of windows (yet) kind of like the speed boot feature and did not want to touch the reque partition either. So I had one entry left. Realizing that grub (0.97) cannot work with LVM partitions I setup a /boot logical partition (32M) and an LVM logical partition for which I used all free space on the device (100G).

After booting from an USB stick (which is tricky as the speed boot is, really speedy) I setup the physical volume, a volume group vg and a root (300M), usr (5G), var (5G), home (50G), and swap (1G) lvm volume. Please see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lvm … nux_on_LVM for an excellent wiki on this. I set up the wireless lan using netcfg creating a profile using examples/wireless_wpa as basis and using netcfg profile up to get a network. As this machine is not likely to roam I prefer the network to be available during boot using netcfg.

Time to start /arch/setup. I selected network as source, set the time, and specified a manual setup of the harddisk using all lvm partition created previously. At configuration make sure the USELVM is yes in rc.conf and lvm2 is added to the list of HOOKS in mkinitcpio.conf.

I decided to leave the windows bootloader as is and consulted http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/gr … HOWTO.html to find out how to link the grub into this loader. Therefor grub was not installed in the MBR but on the /boot partition (/dev/sda6). After mounting the windows partition with mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /sda1 the boot record was copied with dd if=/dev/sda6 of=linux.bin bs=512 count=1 and copied to /sda1 with cp linux.bin /sda1. Not the system was rebooted into windows.

In windows the bootloader was adapted to include the linux.bin by adding the line

c:\linux.bin="Linux"

to the boot.ini file. In MSWindows mode this would be done by right clicking on My Computer select properties, selecting the advanced tab, selecting start and repair settings and pressing the Edit button. A notepad editor will open and the line can be added. The next boot there will be an option "Linux" to choose from.

Last edited by theking2 (2010-02-27 13:21:08)

archlinux on a Gigabyte C1037UN-EU, 16GiB
a Promise  PDC40718 based ZFS set
root on a Samsung SSD PB22-J
running LogitechMediaServer(-git), Samba, MiniDLNA, TOR

Board footer