You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-01 01:15:13

pixel

pacman -Sl

is it true that pacman is not able to show the filelist of package from repository?

bash-3.00# pacman -Ss firefox
current/mozilla-firefox 1.0-3
    Standalone web browser from mozilla.org

bash-3.00# pacman -Sl firefox
Repository "firefox" was not found.

pacman -Ql firefox is working, so is it a bug or pacman cannot do it?

Favorite systems: ArchLinux, OpenBSD
"Yes, I love UNIX"

#2 2005-03-01 01:18:28

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: pacman -Sl

the package is named mozilla-firefox...

pacman -Ss is for "search"

the pacman -Ss firefox command searches for all packages with firefox in the name/description

it then lists all matching packages - current/mozilla-firefox in this case

try "pacman -Sl mozilla-firefox"

#3 2005-03-01 01:22:04

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

pacman -Sl isn't for listing files in a package (I think you would have to download it first and use pacman -Ql, or else you can wait until the web interface supports file lists), its for listing packages in a repo. For example: 'pacman -Sl extra' lists packages in the extra repository.

Dusty

#4 2005-03-01 02:48:54

contrasutra

It isn't possible to list files inside packages remotely, because the remote DB format doesn't support it. Look in /var/lib/pacman/current, for example; no file lists are there.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2005-03-01 11:24:54

pixel

contrasutra wrote:

It isn't possible to list files inside packages remotely, because the remote DB format doesn't support it. Look in /var/lib/pacman/current, for example; no file lists are there.

Yeah, i see that now, but I think it would be nice if devs would implement that. Sometimes I just wanna browse through the files first to see what's gonna  be installed on my machine. Are devs planning to implement file listings from remote repos?

Favorite systems: ArchLinux, OpenBSD
"Yes, I love UNIX"

#6 2005-03-01 18:30:18

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

don't know.
you could download the pkg tarball, extract it in temp, and parouse the heirarchy it dumps quite easily..then simply rm -rf after you are done sniffing around in it.
*shrug*
Might not be the best solution, but it might be an acceptable workaround for the time being.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-03-01 18:34:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

http://www.archlinux.org/~jason/newslet … ml#devland

Check out point 7.  I'm guessing this won't work with pacman, but it does allow you to look without installing anything. If I read it correctly. Also, a lot of changes will be coming with AUR; no idea what will come with it.

Dusty

#8 2005-03-05 20:41:05

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

The web interface now stores file lists.  Search for mozilla-firefox and then click on the File List button.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2005-03-05 22:34:11

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

The web interface now stores file lists.  Search for mozilla-firefox and then click on the File List button.

http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php?op=files&id=4236

but it gives me an empty list ... maybe it's too late for today ... i'll check it out tomorrow

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#10 2005-03-06 20:12:03

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Way to go, you broke it tongue

Submit a bug report.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer