You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-07 18:32:35

japtar10101

Setting the tmp folder for yaourt

I'm trying to update any development packages in Yaourt.  It's quite annoying that I always get these warnings:

==> Building and installing package
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/blender-svn': Permission denied
==> WARNING: Unable to write in /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/blender-svn directory. Using /tmp directory

Since tmp is always erased after a reboot, it takes forever to download the entire source when yaourt could simply call svn update on the directory it retained its source to.  How do I set this directory?

Here's my current yaourtrc settings, By the way.

#    ~/yaourtrc  - Configuration for yaourt
#
#   See yaourt(8) for more information
#
#
#
#   AlwaysUpgradeDevel no
AlwaysUpgradeAur no
#   AlwaysForce no
#   AurVoteSupport yes
#   AutoSaveBackupFile no
ColorMod Normal
#   ColorMod LightBackGround
#   ColorMod NoColor
#   ColorMod TextOnly
#   DontNeedToPressEnter yes
#   EditPkgbuild yes
ExportToLocalRepository /home/omiyat/downloads
#   ForceEnglish no
LastCommentsNumber 3
LastCommentsOrder asc
#   NoConfirm no
PacmanBin /usr/bin/powerpill
PkgbuildEditor vim
#   SearchInAurUnsupported yes
#   ShowAurComment yes
TmpDirectory /home/omiyat/downloads
UpdateTerminalTitle yes
#
#   Define here your prefered Sourceforge mirror: (none surfnet ufpr heanet easynews umn switch belnet kent mesh optusnet jaist puzzle superb-east nchc superb-west)
SourceforgeMirror easynews
#

#2 2010-02-07 18:45:36

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Setting the tmp folder for yaourt

My suggestion is to move to some lighter aur helper, like slurpy, which don't have that behaviour.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-02-07 19:42:28

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

I experienced the same issues until I explicitely created the /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild directory and gave it 755 access rights for my user.

The TmpDirectory setting in .yaourtrc did not work as assumed for me, too.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2010-02-08 01:12:41

japtar10101

bernarcher wrote:

I experienced the same issues until I explicitely created the /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild directory and gave it 755 access rights for my user.

The TmpDirectory setting in .yaourtrc did not work as assumed for me, too.

Not my favorite solution, but that works.

#5 2010-02-27 23:39:17

nloudon1

Not to sound like the ultimate noob here, but are you guys saying that just creating the /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild directory with 755 access rights is going to make it so that yaourt will now download just what has been updated and not the whole package every time? That's what I've been trying to figure out how to do. Are there any other settings that need to be set in order for that to work or does just creating the directory with permissions do the trick?

Thanks,
Nate

#6 2010-02-27 23:55:25

quarkup
Website

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#7 2010-02-28 00:37:02

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

@nloudon1
Once /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild exists that way, yaourt will use it in many cases as a kind of persistent building cache (instead of the /tmp fallback). This does not work in every case, it obviously depends on the PKGBUILD. (But I did not yet try to figure this one out.)

If such a "cache" entry had been set up, yourt will on updates ask if it should reuse its contents or otherwise rebuild the package from scratch. This is a package building means, however, as far as I understand. Yaourt will in any case download the AUR package (which mainly consists of the PKGBUILD and some utility files if needed). Then, I presume, it will look at what source file needs be updated and load just this one. This comes in handy when some version control system like svn, or git is used.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#8 2010-02-28 02:30:05

nloudon1

Awesome, that's what I wanted to know. I've got that set up now. So theoretically, this will dramatically speed up the time it takes yaourt to upgrade my svn and git packages? Or will I not really see much of an increase?

#9 2010-02-28 02:44:15

my0pic

nloudon1 wrote:

Awesome, that's what I wanted to know. I've got that set up now. So theoretically, this will dramatically speed up the time it takes yaourt to upgrade my svn and git packages? Or will I not really see much of an increase?

During the upgrade of svn and git packages yaourt will detect a previous build and ask if you want to re-use it.

#10 2010-02-28 21:52:01

japtar10101

I personally set the directory permissions as follows:

drwxrwxr-x 6 root wheel 4096 Feb 26 16:13 yaourtbuild

Not sure if that's safe or anything, but it gives all admins the ability to simply update what's downloaded in the SVN and Git repository.

my0pic wrote:
nloudon1 wrote:

During the upgrade of svn and git packages yaourt will detect a previous build and ask if you want to re-use it.

If you say yes, this will dramatically speed up the time to download the files.  So, yes.

Last edited by japtar10101 (2010-02-28 21:54:32)

#11 2010-03-01 00:21:20

nloudon1

Awesome, yeah, this is much faster. Thanks guys!

Board footer