You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-20 04:12:23

contrasutra

sound-juicer, menumaker, and audacity

Ive had these packages lying around,so I figure id upload them.

Liferea 0.3.7 PKGBUILD:

# Contributor: Ben <contrasutra@myrealbox.com>
pkgname=liferea
pkgver=0.3.7
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="GTK Feedreader Clone"
depends=('gtk2' 'gtkhtml' 'libxml2')
source=(http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/liferea/liferea-$pkgver.tar.gz)
url="http://liferea.sourceforge.net/"
build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
}

sound-juicer (CD ripper for Rhythmbox):

#Contributer: Ben <contrasutra@myrealbox.com>
pkgname=sound-juicer
pkgver=0.5.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="a cd ripper library"
depends=('gstreamer' 'gtk2' 'gnome-desktop')
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=
source=(http://www.burtonini.com/computing/sound-juicer-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {

./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/opt/gnome install
}

updated menu maker (v.0.13.1 now):

# Contributor: Ben <contrasutra@myrealbox.com>
pkgname=menumaker
pkgver=0.13.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Python Driven Menu maker for Fluxbox,XFCE,WindowMaker"
depends=('python')
install=menumaker.install
source=(http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/menumaker/MenuMaker-$pkgver.tar.gz menumaker.profile)
url="http://menumaker.sourceforge.net/"
build() {
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/opt/menumaker
  cp -R $startdir/src/MenuMaker-$pkgver/* $startdir/pkg/opt/menumaker/
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/${pkgname}.profile $startdir/pkg/etc/profile.d/${pkgname}.sh   
}

updated Rhythmbox (repositories have 0.5.1), with XINE backend (it actually works wink ):

#Contributer: Ben <contrasutra@myrealbox.com>
pkgname=rhythmbox
pkgver=0.5.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="an i-tunes like music player/libary"
url="rhythmbox.org"
depends=('gstreamer' 'gnome-desktop')
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=
source=(http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/0.5/rhythmbox-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {

./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --enable-xine
  make || return 1
}

Rebuilt Audacity, for 1.2.0pre1, its the exact same PKGBUILD:

# $Id: PKGBUILD,v 1.2 2003/05/20 01:00:08 jason Exp $
# Contributor: Tom Newsom <Jeepster@gmx.co.uk>
#
pkgname=audacity
pkgver=1.2.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Audacity is a program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms"
depends=('zip' 'wxgtk' 'lame' 'mad' 'libjpeg' 'libogg' 'libpng' 'libvorbis' 'glib' 'zlib' 'xfree86')
source=(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/beta/audacity-src.php/audacity-src.tgz)
url="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"
build() {
        cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-src
        ./configure --prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr
        make || return 1
        make install
       }

REQUEST: libiconv should be in the repositories, its needed for many things. I built my own package, but for an important lib like that, a maintainer should do it. (not to mention the bandwidth constraints for uploading).

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-09-20 04:29:00

contrasutra

Re: sound-juicer, menumaker, and audacity

Added GNOME ALSA mixer:

pkgname=gnome-alsamixer
pkgver=0.9.6
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="a gtk2 ALSA mixer"
url="www.paw.za.org"
depends=('gtk2' 'alsa-lib' 'alsa-driver' 'gnome-desktop')
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=
source=(ftp://ftp.paw.za.org/pub/PAW/sources/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
  make || return 1
}

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2003-09-20 05:10:45

sarah31
Website

for items already existing the package trees please get ahold of a package maintainer. if the package has a specified maintainer contact that maintainer directly by email. please note that we will not normally upgrade packages to rc/beta/alpha versions unless there is a good reason to.

i realize menumaker has had a new version release for some time now but i personally forgot about it. i am not th maintainer of it but if you do contact pkg maintainer or submit a bug (i this case a feature request) it will be gotten to faster than uploading it to incoming. incoming is growing faster than myself and netkrash can work so if you could all keep the number of repeat packages down we would be most greatful. it take a long time to download and filter as is without having duplicate packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-09-20 16:37:52

contrasutra

Right, I understand that you wouldnt update to a beta of Audacity, so thats why I just built it myself.

And none of these packages are really that important, but since I compiled them for myself, I figured i'd share a little.

#5 2003-09-20 17:32:22

rls

There appears to be a diversity of opinion in the Arch hierarchy. I built gnumeric last weekend and it required updated versions of two packages in the Arch repo. I posted a query about what to do, and was given the suggestion to make the updated versions of the packages and put them in incoming. Sarah31 indicated that the policy is to contact the maintainer.

Perhaps the time has come for the Chief Archers to make a policy decision on this issue.

Regards, Rick

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#6 2003-09-20 17:57:42

hApy
Website

I believe it has always been the case that updated versions of packages which are already available on arch are to be updated by maintainers.

My understanding is that if you need a beta or cvs versions of a package then you should just update the PKGBUILD file and build it on your own system. If you need an updated version for a package you are building you should post a bug/feature request on the bugtracker linked to from the main page -- then just update the PKGBUILD file and make a local copy for yourself. Anybody else downloading your package from incoming will also be able to do rebuild those dependencies. (make sure you force them to use the minimum version in the depends field)

Like sarah said, uploading an already available package to incoming isn't helpful. You use server space, bandwidth, slow down the incoming directory maintainers, and the package maintainers likely AREN'T going to use it anyways. After all, why use a completely untested PKGBUILD file and waste the time checking over the entire thing, when they can just use the original and change the 1 or 2 lines needed to build the new version? Maybe if the new version is really difficult build then posting your PKGBUILD as reference might be a good idea.

Maybe the documentation & man page for makepkg should  mention what the correct process is for getting a package that is in the repository updated?

Hapy.

#7 2003-09-20 19:25:43

dichead

contrasutra when you build some packages for gnome they have gconf schema's that need to be install them
please take a look at the some of the current pkgbuilds for examples

Board footer