You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-19 16:46:43

beniro

Boot Arch Linux Faster? Look here...

I came acroos this article while on newsforge (or something...):

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/l … -boot.html

If this technique could be implemented in the next version of Arch Linux, I think it would be grand.  I'm too newbie-ish to get it done though, or undrstand it's precise execution, but it sounds like a great idea.

Anyone with me?

#2 2003-09-19 17:26:44

andy

Re: Boot Arch Linux Faster? Look here...

Arch's boot process is significantly different from RedHat's : and most importantly, it is much simpler and thereby faster already.

One could even say, AL is what this guy is proposing :-) ...

#3 2003-09-19 17:34:16

beniro

I realize that Arch does use a different startup script system, but I wasn't aware that services were started simultaneously where possible as this article suggests...or is this simply not applicable to Arch's boot sequence?

Arch already uses this optimisation?  Wooops...  smile

#4 2003-09-19 19:40:31

marin_linuxer
Website

I've read the article and I must say it has some appeal.  Coming from a background of WinXP, I'm familiar with the fast-boot (bootvis.exe) tools.

Using laptop/desktops with Arch, mostly, and not liking the glich's so often associated with 'standby' modes, I think fast booting Linux would be a great tool for the mobile user.

I understand the basic principle's in the article as well as the relevant init script functions, however, I'm not very proficient with bash scripting, yet.

I would enjoy development of this idea if anyone, more talented, is interested.

-- Linux!  Isn't it time?

#5 2003-09-20 10:22:05

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

linuxquestions forum wrote:

It is indeed the fastest live cd out there (at least in my box)...

Comments like this I have received from few other users as well. The speed what they appreciate is because the boot script of AL-AMLUG Live CD is same as Arch Linux... a copy of a newly installed AL on my machine. It was AL's simplicity and speed what inspired me to make this live cd.

Markku

#6 2003-09-20 19:16:38

apeiro
Daddy
Website

I think Arch boots pretty fast as it is.  I don't know if it would be worth implementing the parallel start sequence.

#7 2003-09-21 09:43:11

yowwww

I've used about 20 distros and imho, Arch boots the fastest of all of them and I have installed it on two separate boxes. Part of this is course choosing to compile your own kernel. Distros like red hat provide you with a kernel upon install. Sure, you can add one of your own, but most red hat users use red hat because they don't need to do that. They would rather rpm -ivh a new kernel and be done with it. I don't have anything against red hat, but that seems to be the way it works from what I have seen.

Board footer