You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-07 19:27:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

anyone using a netgear ps121 print server?

So I've been trying to setup my printer on a little netgear print server... do I have to run the windows install disk first?
It seems I can't connect to it, and windows can't find it either

#2 2005-03-07 20:31:06

dp
Website

Re: anyone using a netgear ps121 print server?

phrakture wrote:

So I've been trying to setup my printer on a little netgear print server... do I have to run the windows install disk first?
It seems I can't connect to it, and windows can't find it either

i have a similar netgear print server (older kind of) and i remember having to make this box use TCP/IP. per default it used NetBEUI protocoll instead of TCP/IP. for this i needed to install the admin-tool for windows (on netgear cd that came with it) and configure it to work on TCP/IP

after doing that, i was able to configure CUPS easily with the addresses:

<ip>/P1

for the first parallel port

<ip>/P2

for the second parallel port

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2005-03-07 21:33:15

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ah ok - the part I wasn't sure about was the windows install - on the box it says it exports itself over SMB, so I figured I could just scan on windows for "network printers" and it would work

#4 2005-03-07 21:37:12

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

i had a netgear ps101..what a piece of crap that thing was. It kept sending out massive amounts of broadcast traffic, would periodically become completely unresponsive, had a loose rj45 jack on it....the list goes on.
I finally bought myself a brother laser printer with a build in ethernet port/print server. Orders of magnitude better.
Plus, the memory in those print servers usually sucks, so it takes forever to get a job done, as it has to send tiny bits at a time to the printer...
blech.

EDIT: Sorry for my mostly offtopic netgear print server rant.  :oops:

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-07 21:45:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

no worries, I was looking for something like that... the netgear was like $20, so I don't mind..

how much are the brother printers?

#6 2005-03-07 21:52:06

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/prin … 170DN.aspx
the one i have is about $300 USD. I got mine a bit cheaper as it was on special somewhere..still was around 250 or so..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer