You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-03 09:04:19

ninjaprawn

usb unmounting errors

Hi,

Not sure the best place to post this, so it has ended up here. I have had problems with unmounting usb storage devices for a while, but thought it might fix itself. it hasn't.

Basically,

I plug USB device in pc
open pcmanfm
usb is recognised and put in the available drives part on the right on pcmanfm
i then click on the drive and it mounts automatically
i then use the usb as required, maybe put some music onto mp3 player, transfer some music to my phone, or just a few files to a pen
after which, i want to remove the device, so right click it in pcmanfm, then select unmount (this is where the problems begin!)
pcmanfm then hangs for about 1 minute, with a timer as the cursor. After which it spits out an error, saying the device didnt respond
So for me to unmount it, i have to open urxvt, su to root, run pcmanfm from there,
then i try to unmount in the root owned pcmanfm
it then spits out an error that the device must have been mounted from cli, which is incorrect, however....
i then have to close all pcmanfm's, then go back to the root owned urxvt
from there "umount /mnt/usb"
it then says the device isn't mounted
at which point i have finally unmounted the device, so it can be safely removed or even remounted.

No other combination of actions will work.
bit annoying and long winded! any ideas on how to solve??

thanks

Last edited by ninjaprawn (2010-03-05 09:00:26)

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#2 2010-03-03 13:58:14

jstadler

Re: usb unmounting errors

i dunno if this applies with pcmanfm but when I umount from command line, I cannot have any termianls open in the location im tyring to umount.  Does it do the same thing if say you changed your pcmanfm directory to home while you try to umount?

#3 2010-03-03 14:26:00

ninjaprawn

thanks, but i already know that the device cant be being accessed when you try to unmount it. everything in the decription above is done outside the device, with nothing accessing it.

- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD

#4 2010-03-05 08:58:31

ninjaprawn

any body else got any ideas? thanks

Board footer