You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-05 09:33:02

SanskritFritz
Website

The inevitable Bauerbill, Clyde, Packer or other AUR helpers thread

Some new titans among the many AUR helpers. Hard to choose between them, if necessary at all ;-)

The big newcomers:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=91860
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88247
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88115

Tell us your experience about the scripts, preferably a list of cons and pros in the light of the other ones. No flames please.
Authors contributions are welcome ;-)

I personally only used bauerbill so far, i really love it, but I cant tell the difference obviously.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2010-03-06 12:00:30)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2 2010-03-05 12:43:03

gohu

Re: The inevitable Bauerbill, Clyde, Packer or other AUR helpers thread

I tried switching to bauerbill for its speed in downloading and extra features, but couldn't get away from some of yaourt's features, so I tried wrapping yaourt around bauerbill but that didn't work very well.
Clyde is, to me, the right way of combining the features of yaourt and speed of bauerbill with less of the glitches and limitations that arise from wrapping around or patching/extending other executables.
I mean, yaourt( bauerbill( powerpill( pacman-color( pacman( lib-alpm))))) seems really wrong to me. clyde( lib-alpm) looks good.

#3 2010-03-05 13:14:27

simongmzlj

clyde, if libalpm ever gets split from pacman, actual could entirely replace pacman

#4 2010-03-05 13:22:32

axel668

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#5 2010-03-05 14:22:41

takedown

with so many choices I'm going crazy
for the moment I am still using yaourt to upgrade packages that I installed from AUR

#6 2010-03-05 14:44:02

zowki
Website

axel668 wrote:

I use packer, its the simplest I have tried so far and just gets the job done. No extra fancy features.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#7 2010-03-05 15:02:36

scio

I use both now actually.
So far, I really like how Clyde is turning out.
However, bauerbill sits on top of an already working stack so it replaces yaourt for me already (only thing I'm missing is the .pac* file cleanup which I do manually now).

Short term, I use bauerbill for -Syu (and -Syu --devel) and clyde for -S.  I have a feeling clyde will become my only package manager very soon.

#8 2010-03-05 15:31:43

flamelab

I wish yaourt would have some newer development sad

#9 2010-03-05 17:17:13

pogeymanz

I didn't like packer because it isn't a complete pacman wrapper. I want to be able to install/update/remove/search with the same app.

I didn't like Bauerbill because I can't figure out how to configure it, if you even can. I hate that it asks me to type my user name if I run it without sudo before it.

Yaourt still needs a lot of work, but it has many more features than the others. It asks too many times if you want to edit the PKGBUILD, which is annoying as hell and the AUR search is a lot slower than the other two, but I love yaourt -Sb package.

I haven't tried clyde. Will do today.

#10 2010-03-05 17:24:10

knopwob
Website

pogeymanz wrote:

I didn't like Bauerbill because I can't figure out how to configure it, if you even can. I hate that it asks me to type my user name if I run it without sudo before it.

/etc/bauerbill.conf
There you can set the default build user.. If that's what you mean

#11 2010-03-05 22:01:20

pogeymanz

knopwob wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

/etc/bauerbill.conf
There you can set the default build user.. If that's what you mean

Ah, so you can... Why didn't I see that before?

#12 2010-03-05 22:09:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I've recently moved from the moribund yaourt to aurget; simple, easy to configure and the developer is astonishingly active...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2010-03-05 23:20:23

pogeymanz

So, after playing with Bauerbill's config I can see why people would prefer it to Yaourt. In fact there are only two things that I still like from Yaourt that Bauerbill doesn't seem able to do yet:
1) Run without sudo in front of it. This may actually be a bug because it asks for my password, but then errors out because my user doesn't have write permission to pacman's cache directory.
2) Instead of -S --abs, use -Sb like Yaourt. Trivial, yes, but it feels more "built in" this way.
2.5) The PKGBUILD dialog is different, but I'll probably get used to it.

I can't wait to see where Clyde is going.

#14 2010-03-06 00:32:27

Arm-the-Homeless

I use packer now, but when Clyde gets AUR -Syu support, I'll probably switch to it.

I also like being able to not type "sudo" in front of every command I do (like in yaourt and packer).

#15 2010-03-06 01:12:38

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

I changed the thread from a 'vs.' to an 'or'. No need to pit one developer or project against another. Further, you may wish to represent packer in the thread title. smile

#16 2010-03-06 01:23:09

Kiwi

Misfit138 wrote:

I changed the thread from a 'vs.' to an 'or'. No need to pit one developer or project against another. Further, you may wish to represent packer in the thread title. smile

I would so win in a cage match against Xyne.

#17 2010-03-06 01:28:51

JohannesSM64
Website

I use pacman(-color) normally and packer (with pacman-color) for AUR tasks. Only thing I miss from yaourt is -Sb, but a script I made has pretty much replaced that.

#18 2010-03-06 10:25:13

milomouse
Website

I've always been torn between AUR handlers, as they each seem to have options I want / don't want. Used yaourt for a long time just to browse the AUR basically, but since uninstalled it. It seems clyde is much faster for that, though I can honestly say I didn't give it too much of a try. I generally like Bauerbill because it can fetch PKGBUILDs for dependencies too (even though I still abort after I get the PKGBUILD so I can browse the /src folder for configuration reasons, as I don't always know what features I want off-hand).

For me it's difficult to find something that fetches the information/PKGBUILDs and then lets me work on it myself. For the longest time I simply created a folder with the package name and did either "cp -R /var/abs/$repo/$pkgname $PWD" or "yaourt -G pkgname" (depending on if it's in repo or AUR) and then configured/compiled it from there. Although this seems a minor amount of work involved it's still irritating to do this for every single dependency, soooo I'm in the works of my own handler (so far I've only got [for the most part] the ABS side worked out, but am working on AUR support next). If anything ever comes of it I'll post it somewhere (Yeah, just what we need). In the meantime I'm using my handler for the ABS/repo side and bauerbill for AUR. So with this in mind I'm still pro-bauerbill.

Last edited by milomouse (2010-03-06 10:29:43)

#19 2010-03-06 12:02:50

SanskritFritz
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

I didnt see that coming, but ok, I've changed a lot in the first post, thanks. Go on people, so far this was very insightful, thanks for all contributions.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#20 2010-03-06 12:08:41

rent0n
Website

+1 for aurget here.

Aurget is very simple and gets the job done; I don't want to use something instead of pacman and I like the idea to have separate tools to handle official repositories and AUR. In one word, KISS.

Never tried yaourt or one oh these new wrappers, tough.

Last edited by rent0n (2010-03-06 12:11:24)

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#21 2010-03-06 12:43:21

Allan
Pacman
Website

I do not use an AUR helper but I only have 2 AUR packages on my system...

#22 2010-03-06 12:56:39

rent0n
Website

I've started a poll here: http://poll.pollcode.com/27r1

The list of AUR helper comes from the ArchWiki and I've added Bauerbill that doesn't appear there (Xyne, you may want to update the wiki).

Vote, vote, vote!

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#23 2010-03-06 13:52:29

Kiwi

This thread was cooler when it was focused on Clyde and Bauerbill.

I think half of the selling point of Clyde and Bauerbill is that they are not just aur 'helpers,' but that  they do so much more than the other simple scripts that do near nothing and are a dime a dozen. Some people do not like that they do more, well then they can use slurpy or whatever instead.

Do you see the point I am trying to make? It is not that they are both AUR helpers that means we are comparing them, and thus should compare everything else as well, but that they are AUR helpers in a certain class.

Analogy time:
You do not go to the Olympic games and compare the athletes to high school kids. That is just silly. You compare the athletes with other Olympic athletes!

Maybe you do not like the Olympics but like boxing. You do not typically have heavy weight boxers going against the lightweights. They are in a different weight class so it would be unfair to one or both of them to fight each other. Fights are between boxers in the same weight class and everyone only cares about the heavy weight fights. ;D Similarly, you do not go having two heavy weight boxers fight against a dozen babies, either.

#24 2010-03-06 13:58:07

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

kiwi wrote:

I would so win in a cage match against Xyne.

*buys front-row seats*

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#25 2010-03-06 14:07:18

Arm-the-Homeless

Kiwi wrote:

This thread was cooler when it was focused on Clyde and Bauerbill.

I think half of the selling point of Clyde and Bauerbill is that they are not just aur 'helpers,' but that  they do so much more than the other simple scripts that do near nothing and are a dime a dozen. Some people do not like that they do more, well then they can use slurpy or whatever instead.

Do you see the point I am trying to make? It is not that they are both AUR helpers that means we are comparing them, and thus should compare everything else as well, but that they are AUR helpers in a certain class.

Analogy time:
You do not go to the Olympic games and compare the athletes to high school kids. That is just silly. You compare the athletes with other Olympic athletes!

Maybe you do not like the Olympics but like boxing. You do not typically have heavy weight boxers going against the lightweights. They are in a different weight class so it would be unfair to one or both of them to fight each other. Fights are between boxers in the same weight class and everyone only cares about the heavy weight fights. ;D Similarly, you do not go having two heavy weight boxers fight against a dozen babies, either.

...are you saying you'd beat bruenig in a fight?

Board footer