You are not logged in.

#401 2010-03-05 09:37:50

mips1

Re: ArchBang 2.00 RC1

sHyLoCk wrote:

We have not created any packages ourselves. All packages are either from official repos or AUR. So as far as updating is concerned you can do it yourself using packer.

In the end,you should realize that ArchBang = Arch linux. So you know whom to blame. tongue Jokes apart, I think your issues are occurring due to improper installation. Please re-install. I have not received "system unresponsive" bug yet from anyone. But obviously,I'll take a look at your problem. Thanks again for testing! [Remember this is RC and strictly for testing!]

Aware of that, I'm not explaining properly. I mean you obviously change config files and add new packages, maybe just a script to bring us up to date with what you have changed so our config files are the same and we have the same packages installed.

Yes, that why I find it so weird, never experienced anything like this before. Last install I did via usb stick, will retry and install from the cd I burned.

Thanks though, nice project.

Last edited by mips1 (2010-03-05 09:41:08)

#402 2010-03-05 11:26:06

ideopath72

Nice one, have a neat wee ArchBang install with only minor issues...

Firstly, no firmware for my wifi - i needed package "ipw2200-fw" (pentium-m + ICH6 laptop)

Also had wierd response issues after install which turned out to be because i had changed the theme  - installing "gtk-engines" and "ubuntulooks" sorted this out.

Finally did that visudo thing to fix hangups from the 'thunar(root)', 'exit' and 'reboot' menu entries i.e.

myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/thunar
myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot
myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

Really appreciate the effort, thanks.

Live it or live with it...

#403 2010-03-05 15:51:02

wlake

I too had the same unresponsive problem that mips1 writes about. I believe it had to do with the nvidia fix that was posted. I reinstalled Archbang but this time told the livecd that I did not have the nvidia card that it asks about (Y/N).  After reinstallation I had the nv driver. No problems with that. I have since installed the nvidia drivers (195) with pacman, but I removed all the conflicts pacman mentioned, the libgl and the dir and xf86 conflicts. So far no problems. Don't know if this helps.

I am really enjoying this distro great work.

Regards,
wlake

#404 2010-03-05 17:02:51

mangus

sorry if I didn't read all the 17 pages above , but is there a way to make persistent changes to archbang?
Is this implemented or on the way?
thank you and great work! big_smile

#405 2010-03-05 18:40:54

MikeT
Website

csat wrote:

Hello

I tried archbang-2.00-RC1-x86_64.iso to my Dell notebook that has a SATA hard drive and can only get the splash screen to choose Archbang, Archbang [intel], ArchBang [failsafevesa], Memory tester. My laptop works with AMD Turion 64.

After selecting ArchBang as the first option presented initramfs Loading, Starting udevd ... done and then Buffer I / O error on device sr0, logical block 1048576, and a sequence of block addresses until the final message ERROR: boot device did not show up after 30 seconds.

On my desktop, that also uses a DVD / CD-RW SATA like,  the same type of error is presented.

Already tested two types of recording on 2 different CDs. The iso image is perfect because I can install ArchBang 2:00 RC1 using VirtualBox.

Sorry but I don't know how to fix it.

I had something similar when I tried installing on my eeepc just now.

I simply did 'ln -sf /dev/sdb1 /dev/archiso' followed by 'exit'. Found it in a few threads on the forum and seemed to do the trick.  /dev/sdb1 is my usb boot drive I'm installing from.

Not sure if it'll help as it's not exactly the same error but worth a try maybe?

Mike

#406 2010-03-05 20:51:45

moulari

mips1 wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

We have not created any packages ourselves. All packages are either from official repos or AUR. So as far as updating is concerned you can do it yourself using packer.

In the end,you should realize that ArchBang = Arch linux. So you know whom to blame. tongue Jokes apart, I think your issues are occurring due to improper installation. Please re-install. I have not received "system unresponsive" bug yet from anyone. But obviously,I'll take a look at your problem. Thanks again for testing! [Remember this is RC and strictly for testing!]

Aware of that, I'm not explaining properly. I mean you obviously change config files and add new packages, maybe just a script to bring us up to date with what you have changed so our config files are the same and we have the same packages installed.

Yes, that why I find it so weird, never experienced anything like this before. Last install I did via usb stick, will retry and install from the cd I burned.

i second this request, would be a great idea. I really enjoy using archbang and would like to keep uptodate in the arch way of a rolling release.

#407 2010-03-06 01:12:48

syg00

I am also seeing the Buffer I/O error - but only on the 32-bit. Two machines - laptop and desktop. Desktop also gets similar for the floppy - I wasn't prepared to disable it in the BIOS just for this test (on that machine).

For the laptop had to use "EDD=OFF" to get it to load at all - then it started but hit the buffer I/O error. Maybe you should think about removing the "quiet" from the failsafe options - in failsafe I expect to see messages, and without the messages you don't know about the EDD option ... roll

64-bit boots as liveCD fine - but again whined about the floppy. Disabled it to get Archbang tested.

Both iso's passed md5.

*Edit:* just ran the 32-bit on the x86_64 hardware (a Q6600) - works fine. And that's using a crappy old IDE CD drive. Go  figger ...

Last edited by syg00 (2010-03-06 02:01:40)

#408 2010-03-06 01:15:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

Functioning very nicely in RAM with x86_64................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#409 2010-03-06 01:45:25

sHyLoCk

@csat

See if syg00's post works for you.

moulari wrote:
mips1 wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

i second this request, would be a great idea. I really enjoy using archbang and would like to keep uptodate in the arch way of a rolling release.

That's a good idea indeed! Feel free to submit codes/scripts. smile

Last edited by sHyLoCk (2010-03-06 01:47:23)

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#410 2010-03-06 02:00:00

syg00

I see some clarification is in order - the EDD=OFF merely allowed me to get started; prior to that all I got was a blank screen. The Buffer error occurred later, and stopped me dead in the water (on 32-bit).
Post above amended accordingly.

#411 2010-03-06 02:05:42

sHyLoCk

Well we did disable floppy detection in rc.conf and even blacklisted it in modprobe.conf. No idea what else can be done.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#412 2010-03-06 03:40:57

csat

sHyLoCk wrote:

@csat

Thanks sHyLoCk.

I disabled my desktop floppy from BIOS but the error still remains.  I tried both 32 and 64 bits CD and they work only if I use VirtualBox.

I've uploaded couple of screens pictures taken using my mobile phone that show the errors.  Links below.

Boot screen 1
http://i46.tinypic.com/5fghoi.jpg

Boot screen 2
http://i45.tinypic.com/168s7eu.jpg

I suppose that the parameter "EDD=OFF" should be used at boot time when I type [TAB] to pass information.  If I misunderstood please advice.

Thank you all.

CSAT
Arch User

#413 2010-03-06 07:13:00

Anonymo
Website

csat wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

@csat

Thanks sHyLoCk.

I disabled my desktop floppy from BIOS but the error still remains.  I tried both 32 and 64 bits CD and they work only if I use VirtualBox.

I've uploaded couple of screens pictures taken using my mobile phone that show the errors.  Links below.

Boot screen 1
http://i46.tinypic.com/5fghoi.jpg

Boot screen 2
http://i45.tinypic.com/168s7eu.jpg

I suppose that the parameter "EDD=OFF" should be used at boot time when I type [TAB] to pass information.  If I misunderstood please advice.

Thank you all.

Crunchbang does that too, so we're heading in the right direction ;^P

#414 2010-03-06 08:05:16

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@csat looks like a bad burn or your drive [sr0] is not working correctly

Would still like too see gtkmm dropped, you could add a wallpaper switcher into a pipe menu [list of papers if you like] may give that a go once I try too build my own Archbang

Going to check floppy error, mostly get that with VB so might be that floppy is on in settings, Archbang installed to disc got /dev/fd0 and module is loaded... going to check live version

modprobe.conf has blacklist for fd0 and floppy but its not working does it need to be in another file ?

MrG

Mr Green

#415 2010-03-06 08:26:21

syg00

Mr Green wrote:

@csat looks like a bad burn or your drive [sr0] is not working correctly

I find that extraordinarily unlikely. As I said, I see the same on two different machines (same sector ... mmm).
Same disk works on 64-bit hardware.

#416 2010-03-06 14:23:38

csat

MikeT wrote:
csat wrote:

Hello

I tried archbang-2.00-RC1-x86_64.iso to my Dell notebook that has a SATA hard drive and can only get the splash screen to choose Archbang, Archbang [intel], ArchBang [failsafevesa], Memory tester. My laptop works with AMD Turion 64.

After selecting ArchBang as the first option presented initramfs Loading, Starting udevd ... done and then Buffer I / O error on device sr0, logical block 1048576, and a sequence of block addresses until the final message ERROR: boot device did not show up after 30 seconds.

On my desktop, that also uses a DVD / CD-RW SATA like,  the same type of error is presented.

Already tested two types of recording on 2 different CDs. The iso image is perfect because I can install ArchBang 2:00 RC1 using VirtualBox.

Sorry but I don't know how to fix it.

I had something similar when I tried installing on my eeepc just now.

I simply did 'ln -sf /dev/sdb1 /dev/archiso' followed by 'exit'. Found it in a few threads on the forum and seemed to do the trick.  /dev/sdb1 is my usb boot drive I'm installing from.

Not sure if it'll help as it's not exactly the same error but worth a try maybe?

Mike

Thanks Mike and everybody that gave me hints.  I am writing this message using ArchBANG from my Desktop computer and using both CDrom for boot and pendrive I made it to work.

First I`ve installed the ISO file to the pendrive using  "dd if=archbang.iso of=/dev/sdd1 bs=8M as it is explained to mini-manual.

Keeping the pendrive attached to USB port I booted the cd and ended up using pendrive.  Got some problems with nvidia and libgl.  Removed libgl and install nvidia nvidia-utils and then nvidia-xconfig made all things working out.

I don`t think I will have troubles installing it to notebook Dell-131 L since I also could boot using the same method.  I din`t need to create a syslink.

It was my first time I installed linux flavor using both devices (cdrom and pendrive) but considering that I am not expert it was an amazing experience.

Thank you all.

CSAT
Arch User

#417 2010-03-06 17:34:15

Kosava

I wanna to add suggestion about clock on tint2 ,to add a calendar for it , you can find this and it is compatible with tint2
http://code.google.com/p/gsimplecal/
and ArchBang rocks really great project

#418 2010-03-06 21:55:33

godane
Website

@sHyLoCk
I just released my fork of archbang called archbang-live. I fixed some problems with your installer so it would install better on my system. Its about 589mb in size cause i added a lot of packages for pentesting and other stuff.

You can get the iso on my blog belew. I hope this helps.

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#419 2010-03-06 22:12:35

lilsirecho
Veteran

Note that root is not available while installed in ram.

Does this require the user to "back-out" of RAM in order to use root to install a new pkg, say?

I would assume that requires a reboot to re-establish root.

The statement made regarding login suggests that root login is possible without setting a password.(Option to set a passwd is outlined).  Is this true that root can be set without passwd or is the statement ambiguous?

Can install2 ram be made root capable?  Does this require a sudo and passwd?  Or is it not permitted?  Root is exed out in file manager.

Since the entire system is in ram, I see no impact on system security if root is useable while installed therein.  The flash drive is inaccessible and cannot be hacked while in this mode.

I assume that since the install2ram is made in root mode that root should prevail...bad assumption?

Except for not being root capable, install to ram functions smoothly.
Can root be established?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#420 2010-03-07 21:18:48

SpeedVin

That' a nice distro I like it but it have some problem's before and after installation fo it ;|

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#421 2010-03-07 21:23:11

csat

SpeedVin wrote:

That' a nice distro I like it but it have some problem's before and after installation fo it ;|

Will you tell us, I guess...:rolleyes:

CSAT
Arch User

#422 2010-03-07 21:29:35

SpeedVin

csat wrote:
SpeedVin wrote:

Will you tell us, I guess...:rolleyes:

Ok no problem I got Debian on hard drive and ArchBang can't delete partition with Debian , next it can't format it (I got an error that it can't format it) , after install system can't be booted becouse in menu.lst of grub I got ro=/dev/sda3 not /dev/sda1 and kernel=/kernel26.img not /boot/kernel26.img and finally system boot's but filesystem is read-only.

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#423 2010-03-08 20:06:22

csat

The clock at bottom screen is showing 3 hours less. The BIOS setup shows correct local time.

I've set local time during installation.  Part of my /etc/rc.conf is below
LOCALE="en_US.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="local"
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="America/Sao_Paulo"
KEYMAP="us"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

Where can I fix it? 

Thanks,

CSAT
Arch User

#424 2010-03-08 20:12:58

MikeT
Website

jorpheus wrote:
MikeT wrote:

Add mmaker -vf OpenBox3 to autostart.sh?  Not sure if the menus are read before or after  autostart is run so it might be a tad out of date.

Another option would be the archlinux-xdg-menu package.

Have just swapped for that on your recomendation.  big_smile

Mike

#425 2010-03-08 22:15:07

csat

csat wrote:

The clock at bottom screen is showing 3 hours less. The BIOS setup shows correct local time.

Fixed using date -s string as root and changing TIMEZONE and HARDWARECLOCK parameters.

Thanks.

CSAT
Arch User

Board footer