You are not logged in.

#26 2010-03-06 14:25:18

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: The inevitable Bauerbill, Clyde, Packer or other AUR helpers thread

Kiwi wrote:

Analogy time:
You do not go to the Olympic games and compare the athletes to high school kids. That is just silly. You compare the athletes with other Olympic athletes!

Maybe you do not like the Olympics but like boxing. You do not typically have heavy weight boxers going against the lightweights. They are in a different weight class so it would be unfair to one or both of them to fight each other. Fights are between boxers in the same weight class and everyone only cares about the heavy weight fights. ;D Similarly, you do not go having two heavy weight boxers fight against a dozen babies, either.

your way with analogies has solidly swung my vote into the Clyde camp smile
but seriously, clyde is really fast, can't wait for the feature set to get a little more complete.

#27 2010-03-06 14:36:58

jorpheus

I still use Yaourt, but I'm thinking of replacing it - with one of the babies or a quick script of my own. I don't really need anything but AUR search and PKG download.

Edit:
Slurpy. It does what I need and it's Python, which is a big plus.

Last edited by jorpheus (2010-03-06 14:44:49)

#28 2010-03-06 14:53:00

gazj
Website

Aurbuild for me.  It literally does what it sais, it builds aur packages no more or less smile

#29 2010-03-06 16:01:23

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

zowki wrote:
axel668 wrote:

I use packer, its the simplest I have tried so far and just gets the job done. No extra fancy features.

I concur. But bruenig is still a troll!

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#30 2010-03-06 16:37:24

jelly
Administrator

I do miss slurpy in this thread, it's the only really AUR helper for me, it checks for updates and can download packages. I don't care about those AUR helpers that install AUR packages for you, i like to use makepkg and i always edit pkgbuilds. Also all AUR helpers that don't use pacman's lib are pretty useless

#31 2010-03-06 16:51:36

anonymous_user

Im currently using packer though clyde is ever enticing.

#32 2010-03-06 19:35:13

Gen2ly
Website

I'm still used to yaourt's comprehension.  Basically a mirrored pacman in script.  I am liking packer alot, but wonder if yaourt maybe was once like it at an earlier time (have no idea if this is true, just speculation).

Last edited by Gen2ly (2010-03-06 19:36:18)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#33 2010-03-06 20:41:16

thoughtcrime
Website

I have tried bauerbill, but it tries less to be like yaourt in some ways than clyde does, so I prefer clyde now.

- blog (about arch and other stuff): http://thoughtyblog.wordpress.com/
- x86_64 user

#34 2010-03-06 22:38:33

barzam

Using packer and I love it. It gets the job done, fast, simple. It's all I want.

#35 2010-03-06 22:45:43

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

clyde looks good, but i'm not using lua for anything else so it's probably not worth the extra 26mb of deps for me (that's one fat ghost..)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#36 2010-03-07 12:07:48

milomouse
Website

i agree that some of these helpers are not used/made solely for dealing with the AUR, and would be unfair to compare them so. but if you're voting on which handles the AUR 'better', i would still choose bauerbill, not only because it does it's "own" thing/doesn't try to be yaourt, but that it supports things like cpan and hackage which would often be an relative issue as the more i've dealt with the AUR the more i realize a good few of these packages depend on that sort of stuff (which, for me, i had never dealt with previously), but am thankful for. though i have to say i more or less use the AUR as a reference point for packages i'm having difficulties building myself. it's also nice to have other people follow a packages progress so i don't have to monitor their mailing lists 100% of the time for updates/bugs/issues, etc.

#37 2010-03-07 13:01:11

Kiwi

litemotiv wrote:

clyde looks good, but i'm not using lua for anything else so it's probably not worth the extra 26mb of deps for me (that's one fat ghost..)

Umm...and what 26 mb of deps would that be? You do realize lua is 1292K (on 64 bit, 1096 32 bit) installed size and its only deps are readline and ncurses, which are part of base group?!

#38 2010-03-07 13:39:31

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Kiwi wrote:

Umm...and what 26 mb of deps would that be? You do realize lua is 1292K (on 64 bit, 1096 32 bit) installed size and its only deps are readline and ncurses, which are part of base group?!

oh wait, i see most (25mb) of it is actually cmake, which shouldn't be taken into account obviously. good call kiwi, i'm convinced. cool

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#39 2010-03-20 08:21:38

zowki
Website

I just tried out clyde and I love it! It is very fast and displays like yaourt it displays votes when searching AUR packages. I have been waiting for an AUR helper like that for ages! Now it just needs to display whether an AUR package is out of date in the search and it would be perfect. It seems like I never spell clyde correctly in the terminal so I just gave it the alias "c".

By the way SanskritFritz, you look frighteningly similar to my IT substitute teacher in your profile picture.

Last edited by zowki (2010-03-20 08:26:56)

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#40 2010-03-22 08:06:12

SanskritFritz
Website

zowki wrote:

By the way SanskritFritz, you look frighteningly similar to my IT substitute teacher in your profile picture.

big_smile I'm not that one for sure wink

Hey thanks everyone for all the insightful comments, at the end of the day I learned that spending time with each program helps me decide which one to use. I won't tell you though tongue

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#41 2010-03-22 16:40:36

disturb

Anybody knows how can I get clyde to manage packages previously installed through packer ?

Last edited by disturb (2010-03-22 16:41:05)

#42 2010-03-22 16:50:15

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

/facepalm

#43 2010-03-22 17:17:19

ArchArael

Daenyth wrote:

/facepalm

lol I also think it's a joke but in doubt I will respond.

disturb wrote:

Anybody knows how can I get clyde to manage packages previously installed through packer ?

Dude, all packages you install with clyde, bauerbill and packer are the same format that pacman uses. Basically all these package managers/wrappers put the information about the installed packages under /var/lib/pacman/. So you can use whatever you want to remove packages previously installed. You can use clyde to remove packages installed with bauerbill, you can use bauerbill to remove packages installed with packer ecc. And pacman is always at your disposal anyway.

By the way, I'm currently trying clyde. Many thanks to Kiwi and Ghost.

Last edited by ArchArael (2010-03-22 17:25:01)

#44 2010-03-22 22:47:51

Sertse

At risk of looking dreadfully foolish... where did Clyde come from?

An AUR search shows bauerbill and packer having a ton of votes, and very active threads. I thought clyde would be similiar but it's on 56...? I'm sure I'm missing the buzz somewhere.

Personally I switched from yaourt to packer and it's great. The bill/pill things never did much to me (perhaps where I live, there are limited fast -and- updated mirrors, so d/ling from multiple mirror that further away is slower than just d/lfrom one fast mirror). Yaourt still has that nifty feature of listing AUR packages you've installed, and for -devel stuff the last time you updated

Last edited by Sertse (2010-03-22 22:51:59)

#45 2010-03-22 23:06:05

some-guy94

Bauerbill/powerpill don't seem to have a very unified feel to it, the aria2c output is ugly, and just adding all those servers takes more time than downloading most packages. (I get 1MB+/s download speed here in the US using archlinux.unixheads.org). Bauerbill does have more features than clyde though.

I use clyde which is very fast and overall seems nicer to use than bauerbill.

#46 2010-03-23 00:58:14

Kiwi

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=91860

Clyde has been around for a long time (longer than both Packer and Bauerbill, afaik), the concept even longer. However, it was only announced on the forums a month ago, and only been available publicly for maybe 5-6 weeks. The votes for Clyde did go up about 30 or so in the last week if memory serves.

Packer and Bauerbill were released the first and second week of January 2010, Clyde not until the third week of February (according to AUR First Submitted). So, really, Baurbill and Packer have been around close to three times as long as Clyde (for general public use).

Clyde did not really take that long to write, most of the time was spent on Lualpm. You have to figure, Lualpm is in C, which I was pretty rusty at, and never really spectacular in back when I was using it a lot. On top of it being in a language I am unfamiliar with, the whole C->Lua API was brand new to me and I had never written a binding in any language at all. Compounded by the fact that certain parts of interfacing with Libalpm were far from trivial and I was not able to just find examples and docs that made it obvious what to do, especially when you again consider that it was all brand new to me... >.> On the other hand, I am pretty good at Lua and have been using it a long time, and I was able to use the existing Pacman code as a template for much of Clyde.

Anyway, all that aside, Clyde is still the best so do not let its lower number of votes fool you!

*ducks*

#47 2010-03-23 01:15:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Kiwi wrote:

Anyway, all that aside, Clyde is still the best so do not let its lower number of votes fool you!

I see what you did there!

I may try it out. Maybe, just maybe. Would prefer a more complete feature-set (identical to yaourt would be great, more would be greater). Bauerbill for me currently though. Those of you staying in the US or other western nations have no idea how much of a difference aria2c makes on downloads.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#48 2010-03-23 01:28:22

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Actually we do smile

#49 2010-03-23 02:28:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Correction then, 'SOME' of you staying in the US or other western nations....

Apologies =p

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#50 2010-03-27 07:43:09

Kiwi

So I installed the new Yaourt to see if it was still unusably slow.

It is actually worse than it was before, imo. lmao.

It is inconsistent with outputs, shows stupid info, like when you do -Qs it shows local for everything and [installed], Ofc it is local and installed, it was a local package query! I will give it that that operation is significantly faster than it was, but at the cost of retarded output. I liked it better when it acted like -Q (coming up)...which is still how clyde does it, but significantly faster.

It is actually slower for -Q than the last version I had. The last version was only 300 or so times slower than Clyde, this one is over 550 times slower, again, lmao. This is one of the inconsistencies, why does it show what repo a package comes from in -Q but not -Qs? Speed at the cost of having less features imo.

#packer and slurpy do not do any -Q options
yaourt -Q  36.74s user 40.17s system 96% cpu 1:19.37 total
bauerbill -Q  0.17s user 0.03s system 96% cpu 0.205 total
clyde -Q  0.07s user 0.04s system 81% cpu 0.140 total

Pretty much the same output for these guys.

And the almighty -Ss svn, my favorite test of benchmarking search speeds involving AUR.

yaourt -Ss svn  5.51s user 3.51s system 77% cpu 11.583 total
#bauerbill does not search aur by default, on my system anyway, so we add the --aur flag
bauerbill -Ss svn --aur  2.81s user 0.24s system 57% cpu 5.331 total
packer -Ss svn  0.38s user 0.17s system 35% cpu 1.579 total 
clyde -Ss svn  0.35s user 0.16s system 51% cpu 1.005 total
#Slurpy only searches aur, so we add the --aur flag (only search aur) to Clyde for this comparison to be fair,
#same thing for color since Clyde has them on by default
slurpy -s svn --color  0.41s user 0.03s system 46% cpu 0.932 total
clyde -Ss svn --aur  0.15s user 0.04s system 28% cpu 0.674 total

Almost same output for the -Ss, I have a little work to do on showing different versions and out of date in Clyde, but that won't slow it down much, if any.

Not to mention the colors...I like them how they are in Clyde, and have them on by default. Some people do not like them at all, that is fine, there is a config option to disable them that you can override. Note how you do not need to have any extra packages installed if you do want colors *cough* pacman-color, they are just there for the taking.

Pretty much the only reasons to not use Clyde at this time are ones I will probably fix this weekend (I know I keep saying that but give me a break I am in a rough time right now...) and that is the -Syu --aur. I did do a ton of work on it yesterday, though, there are only like two open issues on github that are not feature requests now. big_smile

Don't believe me? Try them. Ask questions. If you need help catch me on IRC, etc.

Board footer