You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-07 10:41:19

Maos

(solved) Installing to usb

I am trying to make a install to a usb memory using ext4 with journaling disabled.
All seems to go well until to first boot of the usb memory.
I have added "usb" to  the hooks for mkinitcpio as described in the wiki.

I am dropped to the "recovery shell" but the I can mount the root partition without any problem.

Set the hd0,0 in grub as it is installed on the usb key.
Tried rootfsdelay of different values (but don't think that is the proble, because I can moount the root-partition from the recovery shell directly.
I saw something about problem on debian derived distros (which I know Arch is not) and adding rootfs=ext4 should help but it didn't for me.

Any advice is appreciated

Edit: Puf! Why does one always find the solution just after asking a question....
It seems that for some reason it specified the root-parameter with uuid but that didn't work until after a "pacman -Syu" so I had to use root=/dev/sdb1 for first boot.
I think I have tried that before but the difference this time was that I had "rootfstype" specified as well, so it can be a combination that I had to specify the device by "traditional naming" and having rootfstype.

But now it works anyway and I don't want to test to find the exact cause as it might break it again. :-)

BR,
Mårten

Last edited by Maos (2010-03-07 13:12:43)

Board footer