You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-28 14:33:41

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

Re: Thank You Arch Wiki And Forums!

i've been using arch for 3 years now, and yet i never thanked too... thanks archlinux for your "way", thanks arch community! archforums + archwiki + #archlinux irc chan and you can have a distro up and running in few hours even if you don't know what is linux!!! this is simply awesome! since when i came to arch, i definetively abandoned m$ crap (except for games asd) so yes, again thanks thanks and thanks!

#27 2010-02-28 15:38:24

futuremonkey

Arch has been the least frustrating and most educational Linux distro I have ever used, and I've used all the "major" ones; Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, Fedora, Mandrake, Suse, Ubuntu, etc.  Arch is truly the "distro-hop" stopper.  The "Beginner's Guide" wiki entry alone deserves some sort of award.

I just wish there was some way I could give back to the community - I can write shell scripts, and I am sort of half-ass learning my way around Python, but there's nothing I would dare to inflict on anyone else.  Beyond that, I have nothing to offer.  But the last time I really liked an OS as much as I like Arch was IBM's ill-fated OS/2.  I just hope Arch stays around for a while.

#28 2010-02-28 15:59:12

Soumyadeep

To me Arch is by far the best distro as far as package management is concerned, as far as wiki is concerned(is there a better wiki in the world for anything?) and 95% of all that i know about linux is because of arch.

Thanks devs, the community and everyone else.

#29 2010-02-28 16:33:42

jvaldezjr

@mythus

Thanks for the kind words.  I have experienced the WM addiction that you speak.  When I was in college, I had a spare P2 system that I did a minimal install of mandrake on (I can't remember what distro it was, but it was 8 years ago, and RPM based).  I hated it, but I was able to run Blackbox just fine, and all my coding was done in the terminal.  Since seeing what I could do with Linux, my problem then was finding a distro that had good package management, and a decent install process.  I left Linux for a few years after I finished college.  Then when Windows stared getting worse than what XP provided, and really what Win2000 provided, I realized that I needed to start giving Linux a fair look again.  That was the time Ubuntu came out, and I was definetly hooked.  1 CD install, most things configured, and a decent community back then, I was able to make a change.  I've used it for about 5 years now, and I've graduated.  I hate that I can't use updated apps, because I either have to compile from source, which creates library dependencies and eventually breaks my system, and I also hate that in order to have more up to date apps, I have to pretty much update my OS every 6 months.  Add that and the fact that Ubuntu even recommends a clean install every upgrade, I felt pigeon-holed.  It's either use the stable but outdated software in the Ubtunu version I have, or install the new ones, fight off new bugs that weren't an issue before to get access to somewhat better software.  Ubuntu has brought this upon itself with its repository management and release cycles.  Plus I think they have "dummed down" who they want to cater to as their user base.  Don't get me wrong, if you want an alternative to Windows and are new to Linux, Ubuntu is great to understand that yes, there is more to a PC than just Microsoft.  But when it's time to move on, and really want something you can control and make work for you, then, and from what I've read since I'm still learning, the Arch way is a great way to go.

#30 2010-03-01 12:43:09

jvaldezjr

Last night in about 2 hours, X, hal, nvidia (althought not the latest driver), were setup and working properly.  This morning, in 30 mins, openbox was set up and running.  Speed, simplicity, it's a beautiful thing.  Ubuntu was never this fast.  It was simple, but I much like layering and building from the ground up.

#31 2010-03-07 16:46:48

jvaldezjr

Just an update:

I have transparency set up with xcompmgr and it's heads above the composite managers that KDE or GNOME used when I used ubuntu.  Even if its no longer supported, its smoother and faster, with the same effects and features.  Cairodock is working better than in Kubuntu, and I have the newer version that I could not get with Kubuntu Hardy.

I'm using PCMANFM for files management, but I cant make up my mind between Thunar and this- once I start paying with USB drives and such, that may help me decide.  I'm also using xfce terminal, I didn't like rxvt as much, and nitrogen to manage my wallpapers.

Slim is running with a few themes that are randomly selected when I log in, now I just need to pick my apps I need to install, and decide on a panel and I'll have a nice, light system without much bloat.

Thanks for the handy guides and community support.  I installed cairo-dock from the AUR which was a breeze.  Turns out I may have more skills or understanding of Linux than I originally thought, and the learning curve is fast and steep.

Thanks again!

#32 2010-03-07 17:21:36

compuda
Website

jvaldezjr, thanks for starting this topic. I was looking for a "introduce yourself here" topic (because every forum always has one) where I could spill my gratitude and happiness but actually I couldn't find such a topic. So here it goes:

Ive probably installed a GNU/Linux distro about 10x in the past year, but never for more than three days. Ive tried the usual ready packaged distros as well as less common variations. The first time I completed and arch installation was maybe half a year ago, but I quickly changed back to the comfort zone of windows.

You could say I am computer savvy but I don't know any programming languages or anything like that, but this Friday I decided to stick through and install Arch (as its the only distro that I've tried in the past that I liked enough to make me want more), full on primary hard drive on my laptop and learn from the ground up. What can I say, its been a great weekend, I have a window manager and firefox installed, Ive slept very little but of my own will - I feel like I did as a kid playing with Lego. Joy! Not once did I have to post a question in the forum so far, Google searches, forum searches and wiki reading have solved issues that I thought I would have to approach the forum with.

Arch community, thank you!
I hope that one day I will be able to contribute.

Board footer