You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-07 21:26:46

rudi
Website

Run Solaris binaries

Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to run Solaris binaries on Linux? I'm working on a project which needs very old data which is generated with a tool written in OPS83 for a SunOS/Solaris system. I can get the binary, but I only have linux (or Windows wink)

Any help is appriciated.

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!
Crowd: Yes, we're all individuals!

#2 2005-03-07 21:33:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Run Solaris binaries

if the binaries are compiled for sparc or something like that, i would think no..you would need some type of virtualization to execute it I would think...
I don't know of any sparc virtual machines, most of them are x86 or ppc.

Good example of vendor lock-in though..

EDIT: https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat- … 00705.html

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-07 21:42:53

rudi
Website

thanks Cactus, I've came across some Distros for Sparc architecture (like aurora, ultralinux), but uhm.. you need a Solaris machine for that  tongue

I was hoping there was an emulator or some kind to run Solaris binaries. I know there is a tool called PSIM, but If I understood it correctly you need to compile it  into your kernel, and add libraries from Solaris.... so that might be rather difficult

Brian: You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals!

#4 2005-03-08 01:37:44

Michel

It seems that qemu maybe going to support it/supports it:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ossupport.html

#5 2005-03-08 21:42:15

rudi
Website

Thanks for the tip Michel, I'll look at Qemu. According to the website SPARC emulation is "in progress" so I'm curious how far I will come  smile

Board footer