You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-10 16:21:09

Carlwill
Website

Arch on Netbook

Don't know much about netbooks or their Atom CPU but can I simply install a x64 ISO on this machine? The Atom CPU is 64bit however I recall hearing that you need an ISO which is optimized for netbooks like Ubuntu has a 'netbook' edition ISO. How does this work for Arch?

./

#2 2010-02-10 16:54:00

Stythys
Website

Re: Arch on Netbook

I don't use ubuntu, but their "netbook edition" is probably nothing more than standard ubuntu with apps a bit more lightweight than normal.

anywho, arch runs fine on netbooks. the wiki has lots of info so check if anything has been written for your model.

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#3 2010-02-10 17:13:26

n0dix

#4 2010-02-10 17:47:04

noreaga

Arch works much more better than Ubuntu Netbook Remix. If you want optimal performance for your netbook install Arch Linux and use lightwieght applications. On my Msi Wind U100 i have Arch Linux with Openbox, PCManFM and tint2 installed. Works very fast than with Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

#5 2010-02-10 19:13:20

knedlyk
Website

noreaga wrote:

Arch works much more better than Ubuntu Netbook Remix. If you want optimal performance for your netbook install Arch Linux and use lightwieght applications. On my Msi Wind U100 i have Arch Linux with Openbox, PCManFM and tint2 installed. Works very fast than with Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

You cannot compare ubuntu netbook remix and arch with openbox. UNR has gnome in background, and you can simply change to it. I think that the right option is crunchbanglinux http://crunchbanglinux.org/, it is ubuntu + openbox.  Then you can compare arch+openbox versus ubuntu+openbox.

#6 2010-02-10 20:39:43

noreaga

knedlyk wrote:
noreaga wrote:

You cannot compare ubuntu netbook remix and arch with openbox. UNR has gnome in background, and you can simply change to it. I think that the right option is c http://crunchbanglinux.org/, it is ubuntu + openbox.  Then you can compare arch+openbox versus ubuntu+openbox.

I didn't want to compare them. To be clear - If the user has knowledge he/she can setup Arch Linux for optimal netbook performance, or can uses other lightweiht distro ( for example crunchbanglinux.org or other with lightweight window manager).

#7 2010-02-10 22:01:22

scio

Carlwill wrote:

Don't know much about netbooks or their Atom CPU but can I simply install a x64 ISO on this machine? The Atom CPU is 64bit however I recall hearing that you need an ISO which is optimized for netbooks like Ubuntu has a 'netbook' edition ISO. How does this work for Arch?

All the Atom CPUs I've seen are x86 not x64, but there might be new ones now.  No special ISO needed, especially with KDE releasing their netbook plasma smile

#8 2010-02-11 00:41:55

brianhanna

Arch is actually easier on a netbook in one important way.  You can download a USB install image so you don't need a CD-ROM drive.  It's possible to install from USB with other distros too but it usually requires a lot more work.

#9 2010-02-11 08:21:55

eworm
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

scio wrote:

All the Atom CPUs I've seen are x86 not x64, but there might be new ones now.  No special ISO needed, especially with KDE releasing their netbook plasma smile

The new Pine Trail CPUs are x86_64. So if your device features a N450 go with 64 bit Arch! Works fine here on a Samsung N220.

ArchLinux - make it simple & lightweight

#10 2010-02-11 09:41:06

JPEC
Website

scio wrote:

Atoms N230 and N270 are 32bits (i386),
Atom N330 is 64bits (x86_64).

Julien Pecqueur (JPEC)
--
[url]http://julienpecqueur.com - Unix, code & web![/url]
HTC Magic (Android) | Shuttle X27D (Archlinux + DWM) | Asus EeeBox (Debian Lenny Server)

#11 2010-02-11 17:38:14

der_joachim
Website

knedlyk wrote:

You cannot compare ubuntu netbook remix and arch with openbox. UNR has gnome in background, and you can simply change to it. I think that the right option is crunchbanglinux http://crunchbanglinux.org/, it is ubuntu + openbox.  Then you can compare arch+openbox versus ubuntu+openbox.

+1.

Boot time in Arch is waaaaay better than boot time in Ubuntu. That is even before opening a *DM.

My current boot time in Arch is about 6 seconds from grub to SLIM versus 30 from grub to GDM in Ubuntu. GDM is a hog, but even then, 6 seconds on a measly Celeron 900 is quite impressive.

BTW: I did like the NBR interface, but te be truly snappy and functional, I prefer LXDE.

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#12 2010-03-06 16:49:38

santodelaespada

der_joachim wrote:
knedlyk wrote:

+1.

Boot time in Arch is waaaaay better than boot time in Ubuntu. That is even before opening a *DM.

My current boot time in Arch is about 6 seconds from grub to SLIM versus 30 from grub to GDM in Ubuntu. GDM is a hog, but even then, 6 seconds on a measly Celeron 900 is quite impressive.

BTW: I did like the NBR interface, but te be truly snappy and functional, I prefer LXDE.

Impresive indeed, in my HP mini 110 1020, I've achieved a minimun 24 secs from power-on to a logged-in Xserver running LXDE.
I trully recomend arch for netbooks, the rest is just to slow. If you like UNR, you can have the same desktop installing the propper software with much better performance on arch.

#13 2010-03-06 18:40:17

DeletedUser201201
Banned

I have been using Archlinux on my netbook and it works flawlessly. Most of the hardware comes already supported with the latest kernel and video drivers for intel (or nvidia) video cards are the same as any other laptop. Said that the documentation for Arch is plenty and you might find specific information about your own model as well as tricks for battery saving and so on.

I would recommend using a lightweight wm but you shouldn't have any problem with the bigger DE's. Flash is working great with some firefox hacking and (with mplayer at least) movies play up to 720p.

However, you could try using Ubuntu Netbook Remix or Moblin or whatever you want and then decide which one fits your needs.

#14 2010-03-09 14:53:26

dswann

Arch is wonderful on my Asper Aspire 1410 Netbook!

KDE 4 runs excellent but KWin's performance is subpar so KDE + Openbox as the WM FTW smile

#15 2010-03-13 10:56:58

stopie

Working well on my Dell Mini 9, just needed the broadcom-wl package from AUR...alot easier than my first Ubuntu experience with ndiswrapper X (  And its waaaay to fast to boot!

Board footer