You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-09 20:48:18

FUBAR
Website

What's your video encoding framerate?

I'm running an AMD AthlonXP 1900+ with 512MB (old) SDRAM of memory (133MHz, CAS 2-2-2) system and I'd like to know whether or not my encoding speed is decent. I'm ripping / encoding a DVD to XviD 4 and I'm getting 9 to 10 FPS. Is this normal?

Here is some more info on the codec settings:

[General]
Title:                 ...
Data source:           DVD
DVD title number:      1
Runtime:               00:24:20

[Video]
Video format:          PAL
FPS:                   25
Size:                  768 x 576
Video bitrate (kbps):  1234
Video codec:           xvid4
2-pass-encoded:        yes
Fast resizing:         no
Deinterlacer filter:   No deinterlacing
Antialiasing filter:   No antialiasing

[Subtitle 1]
Id:                    0
Language:              nl
Type:                  vobsub

[Audio 1]
DVD audio track id:    0
Language:              en
Audio codec:           ac3
Channels:              2
Sample rate:           48000
Audio bitrate (kbps):  192

[Programs]
dvd::rip version:      0.52.2
transcode version:     0.6.14

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#2 2005-03-09 21:45:28

Stanislav

Re: What's your video encoding framerate?

it depends on the video screen size. the one you posted

768 x 576

doesn't seem to be cropped or resized. also it depends on what filters you're using.

on my Centrino 1.5 GHz i get about 23-28 fps on let's say 720x384 using Avidemux.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/481/imbulgarian6ph.gif[/img][/URL]

#3 2005-03-09 22:20:59

Michel

Re: What's your video encoding framerate?

Heya,

I once encoded from xvid to mpeg-2. I also upscaled the image to get anamorphous (or something) screensize. Without the upscaling it went pretty fast, but I don't know how fast precisely. I thought it was realtime or so 25 fps, with upscaling it took twice as long. It could also be slower, but I think that it shoudl eb faster anyway on yoru machine. I have an athlon thunderbird 900 Mhz and 128 MB ram. What speeded up the proces a lot (maybe +50% and I think this was only for optimising the upscaling, but not sure. ) was compiling the codecs with mmx/sse support. Recompile the package for your specific architecture and in the configure-script of the programs there can also be an option to enable mmx/... If you install "nasm" this support may be automatically selected. The gcc-compiler will try to automatically create sse-code from the original code, but you have to specify that it should do it. You can do that by just specifying your architecture "athlon xp(?)". It will enable the options for your system then. For my athlon thundebird this includes mmx/(limited)sse I believe. For you it may be mmx/.../sse/sse2. I think athlon xp supports sse2. The newest athlon even support sse3 I believe.

So, install nasm and change in /etc/makepkg.conf the compile-options, check the dependencies you need to recompile for your program and maybe also check configure-options ...

Programs like mjpeg-tools and ffmpeg have these mmx/...-optimisations I believe. Other codecs mayeb too. And try again. Hopefully it will go faster.

Michel

P.S.: the option -ffastmath can also maybe help, but it maybe can generate non-conforming code, but not sure ... you should check/test this yourself. Maybe something is mentionned in the gcc-manapge about this. Another extra thing you can do is add the option -fomit-framepointer. This uses a lillte but less register and seems do be only usefull if you want to debug the application. Don't know if this option is autmatically selected using -O2 or so.

Board footer