You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-02 20:08:27

k-dub

2005 Predictions, Microsoft style

2005 Predictions from Microsoft puppet
Last I checked, Apache (not running on Windows) ran 2/3 of The Internet. Many governments, corporations, and schools are running or switching to Linux. Is this guy still drunk from New Year's Eve?

Could some please replace him with Linux?  big_smile

#2 2005-01-02 21:06:17

dp
Website

Re: 2005 Predictions, Microsoft style

wehell ... "Your Enterprise .NET Community" is an oximoron as such ;-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2005-01-02 21:42:21

tranquility

ahahaha laughed my #$% off reading that

#4 2005-01-02 23:15:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I think he might qualify as an "asshat".

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-01-03 01:32:47

skoal
Website

He did consult a "magic 8 ball" afterall.  This was said "tongue in cheek", right?

These 3 acronymns say it all: "MCSD, MCAD, and MCSE".  I don't mean to step on any toes, but I've dealt with these types before in business.  Most, who have as well, will whisper to you aside, "hmm...he does have these "credentials"...let's make a lower bid..."

#6 2005-01-03 11:34:03

murkus

FireFox Hunted Down and Killed

FireFox will continue its meteoric rise in popularity until it eventually surpasses Internet Explorer. Hackers having both a new target and valuable source code will unleash a torrent of viruses that will not only crush all electronic commerce on the internet but will make ActiveX feel as safe and secure as a nice warm blanket. Mozilla will become the most hated word since "spam".

And that's because firefox is integral part of the OS, right?
:shock:

.murkus big_smile

#7 2005-01-03 11:52:20

MaceM

theserverside.net wrote:

Humor: Predictions for 2005... Straight From The Magic 8-Ball
Posted by: Paul Ballard on December 31, 2004 6 comments last post: January 02, 2005 updated

8)

#8 2005-01-03 12:42:40

murkus

theserverside.net wrote:

Humor: Predictions for 2005... Straight From The Magic 8-Ball
Posted by: Paul Ballard on December 31, 2004 6 comments last post: January 02, 2005 updated

Yes, I know. But I'm still not laughing..

.murkus

#9 2005-01-03 14:30:33

k-dub

Actually, I thought the "SkyNet" reference was funny. Like, M$ sells a copy of SkyNet to North Korea, it becomes self-aware, but a circular reference in the guidance/targeting systems gets crossed up with the error reporting feature and causes all missles to target Redmond. big_smile

#10 2005-01-03 19:10:58

djhizz
Website

i hate billy....the little a**-**le

My mama said once: ...........***K OFF!!!!   She was right!
<a href="http://www.nobelcom.com">phone cards</a>

#11 2005-01-07 02:20:27

skoal
Website

djhizz wrote:

Actually, I admire the man for his business savvy, and even moreso, for his philanthrophy.  You can't blame a man for making a living and targeting a specific market, can you?  What about the guy who made the eggbeater?

That whole anti-monopoly lawsuit against Microsoft is a load of legal refuse and politics.  Where's the lawsuit against RedHat, SuSe, etc. for bundling the Mozilla, Netscape, or Firefox browser package with their OS?  Strip any cost associated with either, and you're still left with the same premise.  Seems a tad hypocritical, don't it?  I call it penis envy...

A good example of a monopoly and approriate anti-trust lawsuit is AT&T.  In essence, they owned or operated the majority of copper lines in America.  Competition and service was impractical due to material requirements (copper, poles, etc.), county licensing arrangements, etc.  That was never the case against Microsoft, as witnessed by various OS'es existing at the time, including Linux.  The problem was, those other OS'es just didn't target the same market, or couldn't make an alternative worth a damn.  OS/2 anyone?

I for one welcome my capitalist OS overlord...but I "pay" homage to the crusading finnish knight and the specific market he provides me.

#12 2005-01-07 02:59:26

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

skoal wrote:
djhizz wrote:

Actually, I admire the man for his business savvy, and even moreso, for his philanthrophy.  You can't blame a man for making a living and targeting a specific market, can you?  What about the guy who made the eggbeater?

This is one of the only things I agree with you about. I congradulate Bill Gates on finding a way to make boatloads of money (you would enjoy that too...would you not?).

That whole anti-monopoly lawsuit against Microsoft is a load of legal refuse and politics.  Where's the lawsuit against RedHat, SuSe, etc. for bundling the Mozilla, Netscape, or Firefox browser package with their OS?  Strip any cost associated with either, and you're still left with the same premise.  Seems a tad hypocritical, don't it?

You've got your reasons all wrong here, bud. Microsoft bundled MSIE with Windows, and imposed on the user that they had to use MSIE with Windows, via various methods, while these distros bundle certain browsers (most of them more than one..have you looked in our repos anytime in the last couple years?) but do not impose them upon the user, as they are free to add, remove, or replace them as they please. This whole reason is bullshit if you ask me, if you buy Windows, then you are also willing to use MSIE, it was your choice after all. The thing that started to stink, IMHO, was the fact that they were locking in certain computer makers (a la Dell (DUDE YOU'RE GETTING A DELL!!!)), into shipping Windows EXCLUSIVLY on all the computers they produced, or not shipping Windows at all. That was the most anti-competative thing I really saw from them.

I call it penis envy...

Yes..the way you envy my penis.

I for one welcome my capitalist OS overlord...but I "pay" homage to the crusading finnish knight and the specific market he provides me.

hahahaha! *straps on his armor and joins his Finnish brother*

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#13 2005-01-07 04:07:52

skoal
Website

neotuli wrote:

You've got your reasons all wrong here, bud. Microsoft bundled MSIE with Windows, and imposed on the user that they had to use MSIE with Windows

Really? Last time I checked, Netscape was long since available for Windows, even before IE came out.  I didn't know 'ole Billy boy's "influence" had such a stranglehold over my decision making {cap|dis}abilities.  Hmph? And here I thought I didn't use Netscape just cause it sucked more than a hoover vacuum cleaner.

Even AOL doesn't know what to do with it.  Might I make a suggestion?  Move it to the "recycling bin".

There seems to be a shortage of wisdom in the technology sector.  Here's an ageless one: caveat emptor.  If you spend all your time shopping at Walmart, assuming they always have the lowest price, do you blame Walmart when you see that pair of pants at Target for a buck less?

Hmmm...there seems to be a shortage of personal responsibility going around these days.  Thankfully, the Bush Administration's new Justice Department corrected past mistakes from the prior.  "Let the good times roll baby...fire up the stogies boys...the market's back in business..."

#14 2005-01-07 04:09:48

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

skoal wrote:

Thankfully, the Bush Administration's new Justice Department corrected past mistakes from the prior.  "Let the good times roll baby...the market's back in business..."

Don't get me started.

*pft* Texans...

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#15 2005-01-07 04:11:48

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I think, "Drive through liquor stores" pretty much says it all.
roll

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#16 2005-01-07 05:41:03

sarah31
Website

lol  lol  skoal you are killing me  lol  lol

as much as I may hate non competitiveness in business the goal of any company is to be an monopoly. As much as they may say they need competition they are really striving to crush it.

In many cases monopolies are supported by governments. In Canada Air Canada is was an extremely poorly run monopoly. They had the gaul to go crying to the Federal government after 9/11 to ask for money to bail it out because no one wanted to fly any more. The government, of course, "bought" the line and gave them a couple of billion dollars. Little more than two weeks later Air Canada announced their new low cost carrier service.

We keep bailing these guys out while "the competition" is left to their own (and they are quite successful but they still do not have the resources that Air  Canada has. the government makes sure of that.

It sucks but it is a fact of life. if you don't like it don't buy into it and make sure your government officials know that you won't support them if they support monopolies. The funny thing is that as much as linux and other people bitch about MS many of them still support the OS indirectly by buying the games and application that can only be run using Windows (yes emulators count as supporting Windows imo). So I thik alot of crusaders should look in the mirror before condemning someone to hell.

Anyway MS is hardly the evilest of empires. As far as I know all they are are ruthless business men/women. They lie, cheat and maybe steal but who of us doesn't or hasn't (.... and I won't buy any angelic persona you want to sell yourself as dp or cactus)? As far as I know they have not killed anyone. On the otherhand you have legally supported businesses that have killed thousands of people over the years ... namely the alcohol and tobacco manufacturers.

Skoal keep those posts coming your cutting and humorous posts have been thoroughly enjoyed here. smile

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#17 2005-01-07 05:54:13

iBertus

cactus wrote:

I think, "Drive through liquor stores" pretty much says it all.
roll

Let's face it! America's going to pot in a hurry.

I think that if you goto the ATM machine at 2 o'clock in the morning, a little man should popup and say "Yo man, come on!" When was the last time you needed $300 at 2AM for a positive reason?   lol

Sorry, little off topic.

#18 2005-01-07 22:18:39

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

skoal wrote:

Really? Last time I checked, Netscape was long since available for Windows, even before IE came out.  I didn't know 'ole Billy boy's "influence" had such a stranglehold over my decision making {cap|dis}abilities.  Hmph? And here I thought I didn't use Netscape just cause it sucked more than a hoover vacuum cleaner.

And why does Netscape suck?  Because Microsoft used its control over the operating system to give themselves an unfair advantage through undocumented APIs.  By tightly integrating IE into windows, they give their browser an unfair technical (and thus appealing to the end user because it's faster) advantage over third party browsers.

Not only that but the choice is never apparent to the majority of users.  Most people would say, "Netscape who?", because they didn't even know they had a choice.  Microsoft was again using its control over the operating system to give their browser an unfair advantage (this time a lack of awareness), by bundling it.

Now, on to the distro argument.  Distros usually bundle many browsers and don't make one the default.  Not only that, but they aren't the ones who developed it, so worst case they are a cartel, not a monopoly.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#19 2005-01-14 09:36:23

skoal
Website

Xentac wrote:

And why does Netscape suck?  Because Microsoft used its control over the operating system to give themselves an unfair advantage through undocumented APIs.[...]

Wrong.  Apply that same line of reasoning to the bundled Windows Media Player and the success of Realplayer.

Xentac wrote:

Not only that but the choice is never apparent to the majority of users. [...]

Very wrong.  Give Mom, Dad, IT personnel, and various other Window users a little credit.  Just because someone continues to use IE doesn't mean they haven't considered the alternatives, nor are they stupid in doing so.

I still use a rusty 1-blade disposable and hand soap to shave.  I could invest some time and money for a fancy Gillette "Mach-3" and some snazzy aloe-prepped gel.  But, why should I?  What I got now works just fine, and I'm comfortable with that.  That, is an equally intelligent and well thought out decision.  You could make the same case for my old '64 Chevrolet Impala, the pairs of mismatched socks in my drawers, and even the 5 cent roll of no-name brand toilet paper I use to wipe my ass.

* More importantly, who's fault is it that the competition couldn't persuade me to change my habits

Recently, why did Firefox pay for an advertisement in the New York post?  Netscape, what a bunch of little babies.  If they hijacked everyone's mailbox like AOL did with their CD's, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  It seems the "non-Windows" crowd is just now catching up to the concept of Marketing, a whole decade late.

Xentac wrote:

Now, on to the distro argument.  Distros usually bundle many browsers and don't make one the default.  Not only that, but they aren't the ones who developed it, so worst case they are a cartel, not a monopoly.

Slightly correct
.  You got me there.  However, the thrust behind Netscape's argument was that Microsoft was bundling a browser with their OS, and those same detractors barely give it an afterthought as they install their bundled distribution.  That concept and the ensuing hypocrisy should not be lost on a mere technicality.

#20 2005-01-14 09:59:36

skoal
Website

sarah31 wrote:

[...]as much as I may hate non competitiveness in business the goal of any company is to be an monopoly. As much as they may say they need competition they are really striving to crush it.

Amen, sister.  One day I will invent the hover car.  Anyone who attempts to sell neon lights to the license plate frame or sideboards, or adds magnetic-servo fusion pumps to make it "bounce", will be crushed by my fine legal team comprised of "Rocko Kneecaps" and "Johnny Knuckles".  And, I will immediately follow with my announcement of next year's model having neon light covered license plates and magnetic-servo fusion pumps...

sarah31 wrote:

[...]As far as I know they have not killed anyone. On the otherhand you have legally supported businesses that have killed thousands of people over the years ... namely the alcohol and tobacco manufacturers.

What?!  Guilty...as...charged...

#21 2005-03-03 05:20:29

sudman1

Skoal, Sarah31, you both have my utmost respect for your insight and candor. Your honest rational thinking is a breath of fresh air in the (sometimes Holier-Than-Thou) Linux community.

Choice of OS can be seen like religious choice: Some people are comfortable with what they believe, because that's how they were raised.  Some have tried them all and settled on the one that they feel suits their own personal philosophy. Everyone is entitled to their choice and it's not anyone's place to say they are wrong. Judge not lest ye be judged.

PS: If I am rambling and incoherent, it's from a lack of Mt. Dew @ 5:20 am.

v/r
Suds

#22 2005-03-03 05:22:49

sudman1

And Skoal, let me know when you get that car working. I want one.  Oh yeah... will the neon lights be a free upgrade like WinXP SP2? :twisted:

v/r
Suds

#23 2005-03-03 06:08:42

skoal
Website

sudman1 wrote:

Oh yeah... will the neon lights be a free upgrade like WinXP SP2?

Yes sir, it will.  Only because the original neon light package was rushed into production and distributed without much testing.  However, as a token of customer appreciation, I will include a free Open Source distribution of our Star Navigation system, as a token of your patronage. However, I've been receiving complaints recently from users of the alpha-1.0b version.  Apparently, the software occasionally hangs and locks onto Black Holes if you have the "bounce" switch activated at the same time. 

In 2006 or 2007, in partnership with GMMGES (Gobal Mega Monster Gates Enterprise Systems), all future models will use a 256-bit closed source Star Navigation system.  Unfortunately, current beta testing of GMMGES software indicates a large amount of "penis enlargement" spam slipping through the holographic filters...

#24 2005-03-03 06:46:42

skoal
Website

sudman1 wrote:

Skoal, Sarah31, you both have my utmost respect for your insight and candor. Your honest rational thinking is a breath of fresh air[...]

Please don't feed the trolls...

#25 2005-03-10 04:25:54

Duke

Redhat or SUSe including firefox and other applications with their OS isn't wrong because they aren't in control of a monopoly.  Agreed, it looks like a double standard, but I do believe the problem was that Microsoft was taking advantage of their monopoly, where Redhat and SUSe aren't.

Board footer