You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-14 16:16:14

tomd123
Developer

Help disabling physical rfkill switch.

I need to figure out how to disable the physical rfkill (wifi kill) switch because over the years, it has loosened, and now the slightest touch (right below my wrist) can set it on killing the wifi. This is a very annoying problem to me and would like to know if there are any solutions out there. I checked out rfkill but it seems like it doesn't support hard unblocking.

#2 2010-03-14 17:06:06

ataraxia

Re: Help disabling physical rfkill switch.

Maybe blacklist the rfkill module?

What about physically removing it, or as much of it as comes out? Or even putting tape on it?

#3 2010-03-15 06:16:38

tomd123
Developer

ataraxia wrote:

Maybe blacklist the rfkill module?

What about physically removing it, or as much of it as comes out? Or even putting tape on it?

Blacklisting it removed my wlan0 interface smile
I don't have the option of taking my laptop apart atm.
Tape wouldn't work, just because of how the surface is shaped.

I was hoping for a software fix smile thanks anyways!

#4 2010-03-16 00:35:31

Sjoden
Website

You could try take  turning the switch to off, put  a tiny bit of superglue down and then flip the switch back to on over the glue and let it sit. Be very careful not smear, I don't think it'd come of the case. This won't work if your switch is an up & down button rather than an on and off physical switch.

(do the above at your own risk, I am not a laptop repair technician.)

#5 2010-03-16 00:59:16

tomd123
Developer

Sjoden wrote:

You could try take  turning the switch to off, put  a tiny bit of superglue down and then flip the switch back to on over the glue and let it sit. Be very careful not smear, I don't think it'd come of the case. This won't work if your switch is an up & down button rather than an on and off physical switch.

(do the above at your own risk, I am not a laptop repair technician.)

Nah, I'm afraid of doing this because if you push it past the on, it will seem like its off smile

Board footer