You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-15 05:04:59

yp

Newb Q's || Wifi | Sounds | Other Goodies :p

So I installed Arch Linux on my laptop. so far I've been liking it since I like to configure things to my liking. Though I've ran into a few simple problems which I'm sure can be answered fairly quickly tongue

My first one would be that I got sound working. But I can't control the sound volume through my keyboards buttons. <-- tip on what to do?

My second thing and most important as without this I can't really do much is, Wifi roll

I just can't get it working if my life depended on it, I've been at it for about 2 whole days. Call be brainless, stupid or whatever other names but I just keep on bumping into new problems as soon as I fix one. (WPA SPK)

My current problem is that when following the WPA supplicant Wiki, I get an error when trying to run:

wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B

Error is: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132

Which I wasn't getting that error before on that step but now I am. (i actually moved back in steps >.<)

So I looked it up on Google and the solutions I found were to do things like rfkill unblock all, block all, etc
following a few examples on different pages, neither worked for me. And I am still stuck on this step hmm

So if anybody can point me to a working solution to those two problems I am having or if you want to do one better and actually reply with a method I would be very grateful. i will then reply if it worked for me or not. Thank in advance to all and sorry if this has been posted already. I tried searching but to my desperation I might have missed a few threads...(even if they were on the first page)   <-- excuse

Another thing is that since this is my first install of Arch Linux, does anybody have any suggestions on some apps or configurations I might run to make my system more pleasant. I'm running Fluxbox

#2 2010-03-15 05:18:10

bharani

Re: Newb Q's || Wifi | Sounds | Other Goodies :p

1) Install xbindkeys and create short cuts to control sound.
2) I dont know about wi fi, so somebody else will help.
3) http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Common_Applications
Since you use fluxbox you may be also interested in
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lig … plications

Tamil is my mother tongue.

#3 2010-03-15 05:28:00

yp

Hey, thank you very much for the quick and great respond bharani. You answered most of my questions and problems.

I just need for some one else to help me like that for the wifi wink

#4 2010-03-15 06:58:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

Turn off encryption on your wifi temporarily, and check if you can connect manually using iwconfig and either ifconfig or dhcpcd.

#5 2010-03-15 11:12:56

Bestiapeluda

Have you installed the firmware for your WIFI ?
SIOCSIFFLAGS errors ussualy mean no firmware is installed.

#6 2010-03-16 01:00:58

yp

Bestiapeluda: Yes, I'm have Atheros Communications Inc AR9285 and as I'm aware ath9k is already included in the kernel by default and doesn't use any extra firmware.

Doing some more research I came upon a solution for many users who were getting the same error for me.
> rfkill block all
> rfkill unblock all
> modprobe ath9k
> rfkill unblock all
> ifconfig wlan0 up

The above commands worked for other users but not for me. Now I ran

rfkill list

and got back

Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

So I then tried: rfkill unblock all

no avail, and for whatever reason I tried it again, and what do you know, it was unblocked. After some googling, turns out. unblock all, -doesn't- unblock all, you have to type it in twice. So I got that error fixed

I then removed all encryption from my network like you suggested tomk and tada! wifi big_smile but I obviously don't want to be running it like that so I started up my encryption again (WPA-PSk) but I wasn't able to get an assosication this time. though I'm sure it's just an error on my part setting up the conf.

According to the Wiki, to get that sort of encryption working I need to have this on my wpa_supplicant.conf file?

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel

network={
       ssid="mywireless"
       proto=RSN
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP TKIP
       group=CCMP TKIP 
       psk=7b271c9a7c8a6ac07d12403a1f0792d7d92b5957ff8dfd56481ced43ec6a6515
}

I'm not sure if that is correct though, any corrections on that to make it run with my current encryption?

#7 2010-03-16 01:08:41

reed9

Board footer