You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-09 22:14:31

gaboo

I would need several version of a package

I think I saw this somewhere on Arch web site : only one version of each package, latest one.

But, I need several version of some packages.
I'm a developer, and I need apache tomcat 4 & 5 (web server mostly use version 4).
The same for php, I need version 4 as I have to use this version for some project.

I would also need mysql version 4.0 (and latest 3;XX) because I have to use them at work for various resons.

There are many example. I know I can install these manually, but it's a shame as there is a powerful package manager.

I don"t say that every packages sould have several version, but some obviously need.

Is there any plan on adding such a feature ?

#2 2005-03-09 22:23:42

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: I would need several version of a package

you can easily build your own with abs. Just specify a different install location.
Maybe /opt/otherversions or something similarly unclever.
wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-03-09 22:35:14

gaboo

I'll have to do it that way, but I think it should be official packages available using pacman current repository, or maybe extra.

#4 2005-03-09 22:40:56

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

well, all I can say is few people actually need said functionality, and there is limited dev time for package maintenance.
*shrug*
Maybe if more people start needing such things, they will support it "out of the box"

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-03-09 23:14:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I suspect you can find packages for some of the more common "need two version" apps (like tomcat, apache, php) floating around user repositories and stuff. And we can always say "AUR fixes everything"...

Dusty

#6 2005-03-10 08:22:54

sarah31
Website

you have the tools to host local repositories with the olser packages you need. you can get old build from the web interface to the CVS and all you would have to do is change some destination locations so that the older or newer packages are not replacing each other.

As for official Arch support ... it may someday happen but only if there are the people who need and one of them want sto maintain the packages

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer