You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-10 23:55:23

i0n

Problem with shutting down- lots of speaker noise

Hey, I switched to arch last night and i'm loving it!

My issue today is that when shutting down or rebooting my machine , I am catching some static in the speakers - I am not sure if this is due to unloading of the module or what.

What would be the steps to test what is causing this?

Thanks

#2 2010-03-11 21:48:55

skanky

Re: Problem with shutting down- lots of speaker noise

I get that too on my eeePC 901, but recently I've started getting it at random times (most recently it almost seems to be regular if not overly frequent).

There was some discussion of it on the 901 thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=53464&p=49

Though there was no resolution, there may be a hint or two there. This has only just got irritating enough for me to want look to resolve it (I don't use sound much on this machine).

I do remember reading somewhere, when I first came to Arch, that someone disabled a module as it caused behaviour like this, but cannot now find it. It's either in the wiki or the forum, but searching has not yey thrown anything up. I'll post here if I do find it.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#3 2010-03-11 22:29:56

skanky

Okay, I've discovered the reason for the noise during use was that somehow I'd lost my pcspkr blacklisting in MODULES in rc.conf - that is I'd lost the entry !pcspkr from the list. This meant that I was getting the bursts of static when something wanted to beep. That may have fixed the shutdown noise as well, but that was not 100% before so I'll give that a few goes before committing.

I still get pops at start-up/shutdown despite trying the fix at this page: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adv … chitecture

(see trouble-shooting).

But if you don't get those, then you needn't worry about that. smile

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#4 2010-03-12 11:39:18

i0n

Appreciate your response, I have these disabled also but still getting the crackling pops and such during shutdown/startup .. I think this may be related to an issue with my sound not working properly..

@honey ~]$ cat /etc/rc.conf |grep MODULES
# MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Prefix with a ! to blacklist.
# NOTE: Use of 'MOD_BLACKLIST' is deprecated. Please use ! in the MODULES array.
MODULES=(!net-pf-10 !snd_pcsp !pcspkr loop)

I may need to start a new thread for my sound not working properly, hopefully it is related but I doubt it. I will update this thread soon.

#5 2010-03-12 22:13:08

skanky

Okay well my problem's come back since the last boot-up. No changes made to my setup. Obviously I don't know if it'll make the noise on shutdown but I'm assuming it will. So,...back to square one. hmm

#6 2010-03-16 14:20:25

skanky

Right, I *think* I've resolved it - had no static noises for a few boots.

I added the model option to the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf entry:

options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 model=laptop

The model option setting may need to be different to resolve this issue for others.

#7 2010-03-16 15:00:15

Andy M

skanky wrote:

The model option setting may need to be different to resolve this issue for others.

I believe some Acer models prefer to have the make-model listed, ie model=acer-aspire

#8 2010-03-17 11:52:49

skanky

Andy M wrote:
skanky wrote:

I believe some Acer models prefer to have the make-model listed, ie model=acer-aspire

Yeah, you're right. The noise came back again - every time something wanted to do a beep the static came up for about ten seconds. That included shutdown. It started again after I went into the Flash settings dialogue (right-click in a playing flash swf), though that may have been coincidence. hmm

Anyway, I searched about again and found a page on the Gentoo wiki that recommended this entry (they talked about alsa.conf but it works in modprobe.conf):

options snd-hda-intel model=eeepc-p901

Obviously that's for an ASUS 901. The sound has, so far, behaved impeccably since then.

Board footer