You are not logged in.

#26 2005-03-10 08:54:47

shadowhand
Website

Re: Looking for a basic WM :)

Yeah, Phrak alreay said it.

Aterm is more configurable than xterm basically. It uses the bash shell and stuff, but you can do more with it in terms of set up. I also use Terminal for some stuff. (Terminal is a vte emulator like gnome-terminal, but without all the Gnome dependancies.)

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#27 2005-03-10 21:10:09

skoal
Website

WMI is great, but not for everyone.  It's as pretty "minimal" as you can get.  The main reason I liked it was because I could turn off all Window Decorations.

I used cups, firefox, gAIM, and just about anything else with no extra "session" processes or the like.

#28 2005-03-10 21:47:13

oscar

shadowhand wrote:

Yeah, Phrak alreay said it.

Aterm is more configurable than xterm basically. It uses the bash shell and stuff, but you can do more with it in terms of set up. I also use Terminal for some stuff. (Terminal is a vte emulator like gnome-terminal, but without all the Gnome dependancies.)

You have no idea what you are talkinbg about, clearly.
Take a look at the xterm manpage - xterm is far better than aterm, and you can do basiclly anything with it.

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#29 2005-03-11 06:20:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

N3xt wrote:
Dusty wrote:

its only useful if you do a lot of work in the console. I've never used it, so I'm just repeating what I've heard before. From what I understand, it is basically a 'window manager' for the console, NOT for X at all... so you could have multiple consoles open on one virtual console. In addition, you can move console sessions to background and pick them up later and stuff, sort of like unlimited virtual consoles.

Basically, if you were looking for a window manager, screen isn't it. However, it may be something fun to investigate if you do a lot of console work (whether across the network or not).

Dusty

Although I've already chosen OpenBox as the WM for now hmm  I was just wondering how useful it would be since I'll be using the console as a file manager, etc.

btw shadowhand, what features does aterm have over xterm? smile

it's be more usefull using console for file manager than any crappy ui big_smile

gui sucks

#30 2005-03-11 08:18:20

jerem

You can try out the new blackbox, although I do not know if the last version is available for Arch.

Xfce is nice but is still heavy compared to *box.

PekWM is nice and highly configurable (text files easily understandable)

Fluxbox has better eye-candy than blackbox though to me less stable, especially with the new blackbox version. All *box use xml to setup the menu.

Rox-Filer can set up your Desktop and much more if you use a minimalistic WM.

Menumaker generates a menu for xfce, *box, and more...

Torsmo is nice but may be a pain to configure.

A themed Gkrellm is always nice-looking.

#31 2005-03-12 00:10:12

iphitus
Forum Fellow

jerem wrote:

You can try out the new blackbox, although I do not know if the last version is available for Arch.

Xfce is nice but is still heavy compared to *box.

PekWM is nice and highly configurable (text files easily understandable)

Fluxbox has better eye-candy than blackbox though to me less stable, especially with the new blackbox version. All *box use xml to setup the menu.

Fluxbox has never crashed for me. Flux doesnt use xml based menus as of yet, it uses the older simpler box style.

Rox-Filer can set up your Desktop and much more if you use a minimalistic WM.

Menumaker generates a menu for xfce, *box, and more...

Torsmo is nice but may be a pain to configure.

Not really, grab torsmo-extra off dibblethewrecker's repo and its got lots of configs in it.

#32 2005-03-12 14:03:21

Legout

I use the dev-version of PekWM!! In many cases it´s similar to the *box wm´s. It´s small,  highly configureable with textfiels and fast.  The textfiles are very easy to understand. I used openbox for a long time before. But i like pekwm more.
And another thing, why i use it, is very much people uses KDE/GNOME, XFCE4, *box, but only less people use pekwm  big_smile 

You can download pekwm-dev and some themes from my repo!
Here´s a little screenshot!
pekwm-dev

Board footer