You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-10 17:58:40

JeffersonF

JFS root file system will only mount read-only

Hi, everybody!

I have been running this filesystem for months with no issues. The only thing I can think of that I changed recently was that I ran pacman -Syu.

When I boot there is no indication that there are errors with the file system. It simply mounts as read-only.

I have tried running

mount -n -o remount,rw /

, and it says "mount: / not mounted already, or bad option".

When I run just

mount -n -o rw /

it appears to work, in that there is no error message, but the file system is still read-only.

I have been able to mount it read-write successfully with the install disc, but only after I ran a fsck on it, also from the install disc. However, each time I have run fsck, it has reported no errors. I also tried forcing the check, with the same result.

Even after mounting it successfully with the install disc, it still will not mount read-write from my hard-disk install.

My DE (gnome) locked up a few days ago and I had to do a hard reboot, but it still functioned fine after that, so it doesn't seem related.

I would like to not have to reinstall, but I can if I need to. I would also like to find out how this happened, so that it does not happen again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Jefferson

#2 2010-03-16 05:38:08

JeffersonF

Re: JFS root file system will only mount read-only

Is this in the wrong forum?

#3 2010-03-16 23:45:54

Marcel-

I think so, I'd try Workstation User:

Post your workstation problems here. Package install and configure, printing and mounting issues, general and productivity apps. Sound and video, check out Multimedia.

(And no, I don't have a clue, I use JFS for / myself, without problems. Nothing strange in your logs?)

#4 2010-03-17 07:41:14

seiichiro0185
Website

Do you have the passno-flag (last column in fstab) set to 1 for the rootfs? I had strange issues when I had it set to 0 (aka no check), including read-only rootfs.

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#5 2010-03-18 23:44:07

JeffersonF

I got it working. I was running the fsck on the wrong partition. roll I am still curious as to why it happened, though.

@Marcel-: I don't think there was anything strange in my logs, but I'm not sure. I will look them over some more. Is there a particular one I should be looking in?

@seiichiro0185: Yes, the passno-flag is set to 1 for my rootfs.

Thank you both very much for helping me!
smile

#6 2010-03-21 02:14:12

Marcel-

JeffersonF wrote:

I don't think there was anything strange in my logs, but I'm not sure. I will look them over some more. Is there a particular one I should be looking in?

In my kernel.log there are entries every time a JFS partition got mounted. Just do 'less /var/log/kernel.log' and look for 'JFS' (using /).

JeffersonF wrote:

Thank you both very much for helping me!

Though I didn't do a lot, you're welcome!

Board footer