You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-15 07:52:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

odd firefox freezes

I have been periodically havin firefox lock up on me....
I do NOT have composite enabled, and don't have the flash plugin installed...

It seems to happen whenever I click a torrent link or certain avi/mpeg files....

Most lockups happen when clicking "save link as"

I've actually taken to going to "Copy Link Location" and using wget to download things....

Very frustrating... any tips/ideas would be great...

[[ Odd note as of this writing, the "find" bar periodically pops up while I'm writing this, causing this text box to lose focus as my typing is send to the find bar....sigh]]

#2 2004-12-15 08:59:13

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: odd firefox freezes

This happened to me when i compiled firefox from scratch with too high cflags, it warped. I also had crashing problems when at one stage, loopback wasnt starting on boot.

As for the find bar, I had that too, it seems to be a bug, go to the options, advanced, disable begin finding when you start typing.
That annoyed me as I used the search bar, but after a while I became accustomed to using ctrl-f to bring it up instead and it's not that bad an inconvenience after all.

iphitus

#3 2004-12-15 11:23:50

JGC
Developer

Are you guys running with freetype2 from testing? Something has changed there that requires patching in mozilla and firefox. Without the patch, all browsers using the mozilla engine can crash on some sites using certain fonts.

#4 2004-12-15 16:46:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

JGC wrote:

Are you guys running with freetype2 from testing? Something has changed there that requires patching in mozilla and firefox. Without the patch, all browsers using the mozilla engine can crash on some sites using certain fonts.

that makes sense... there were a few sites that were just ordinary websites that would crash 100% of the time (citibank.com for one)...

i'll revert my freetype.... see if that helps...

#5 2004-12-15 19:12:25

colnago

I am using the freetype2 from testing and there is no problem (tried citibank).  I installed firefox from the installer rather than pacman.

#6 2004-12-15 20:00:25

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ill have to check it when i get home... but i reverted from an ssh session

#7 2004-12-18 16:34:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok, this has nothing to do with freetype... I don't think...

someone try here:
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/xe … 301p1.html
(and if you can get to it fine, then let me know the freakin US release date...)

that one hangs firefox.... running it in debug mode, I end up with a "Thread received SIG33, exiting" - wtf is SIG33.... i doubt that's real.... damned gdb

running firefox in safemode doesn't help either...

maybe i'll try the real installer and see if that helps... actually i'd rather build from source... lemme check that out

#8 2004-12-18 18:38:49

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Update:
recompiled from source (not using makepkg, but doing each and every step that the build script did)....

Notes: the PKGBUILD failed on the "make -f client.mk build" command - removing build made it work (it proceeded to checkout cvs stuff)
I compiled it in static form, "--enable-static, --disable-shared", in order to increase performance a bit.

running the newly compile executable, I am able to hit every page I was not able to before.

Filing a bug report with a link to this thread.

#9 2005-03-11 01:17:32

mdirolf

I have been having problems with firefox crashing with the flashplugin for months now, and have just been living without flash.  When I saw the note about the composite extension I tried it (put the export line into /etc/profile) Now when I run try to open a page with flash as a regular user firefox still crashes.  Running firefox as superuser, however, allows flash to be displayed.  Whats up with this? any ideas?  I put the 'export' line into my users .bash_profile file too just in case that made a difference?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

#10 2005-03-11 01:34:48

mdirolf

I lied earlier.  The difference isn't whether or not I run firefox as a regular or super user.  When I start firefox from aterm with the command 'firefox' it starts fine and doesn't die when it encounters flash.  However, when I start firefox from my icon on my desktop (or from the fluxbox menu) it does freeze on flash.  Why does this difference occur?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

#11 2005-03-11 04:58:24

skoal
Website

mdirolf, that's a good question.  I know at one time you had to set 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1' for the flash problem, but that's old news.  I think as of version 1.0 that went away.

I don't know why this would be occuring, but you can try this:

Open up the `/opt/mozilla/bin/firefox` script in vi (or the like) and uncomment line 73, "#set -x".

You will get all sorts of debugging output.  If you run it from the console it will display there.  If you start firefox from an icon or otherwise, it should display on VC/1.  When it crashes, you can ctrl-alt-F1 to VC/1 and check where it's crashing (hopefully).

There's probably a "cleaner" way of doing this, but I don't know how...

#12 2005-03-11 05:19:18

mdirolf

It only gets weirder...

skoal i tried your suggestions, except i usually boot into runlevel 5, so in order to use VC1 to view the errors i edited inittab and booted into runlevel 3.  When I tried it this time flash worked, even from the desktop links.  I have no idea what is going on...

Thanks for the help,
Mike

#13 2005-03-11 05:55:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the flash problem comes from the following:
"export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" is set somewhere, most likely a profile file.  When you login to a terminal, this value is exported and firefox will work properly.  However when X was started, this value was not set because you most likely logged in from xdm/kdm/gdm and the profile scripts are not run then.

Add "export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" to whatever file is run on the startup of your {x,g,k}dm (for xdm the file is ~/.xsession).  This way it is set when X is started and things should work fine.

#14 2005-03-11 06:11:19

skoal
Website

Hmm...I didn't think you had to set that anymore Phrakture.  I just:

[root@morpheus etc]# grep -rn XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS .

and got nothing.  I don't have that set anywhere in '/etc' and sure don't see it listed in any of my ENV variables.  Maybe something unique to my setup...

#15 2005-03-11 15:06:25

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm I wasn't sure if it was ever officially in arch... I made my own profile.d script to do it... I run X through startx, so that works for me...

Board footer