You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-09 20:16:03

Nanthiel

[SOLVED] EeePC 1005HA-H on Arch?

Hello everyone!

I've tried installing Arch on the mentioned machine, but the network driver (ethernet) isn't in the install, which is a big issue! I don't know what to do, as I can't properly install anything without any kind of connectivity working. =/

Also, how does one go about making the Fn keys work in Arch, as well as things like changing the brightness / dimming the screen and the like?
I would also like to know how much battery is consumed by Arch and if the consumption can be somehow controlled?

Thanks for the answers!

- Nanthiel

Last edited by Nanthiel (2010-03-21 23:10:48)

#2 2009-11-10 00:16:19

Gutti

Re: [SOLVED] EeePC 1005HA-H on Arch?

Hi Nanthiel,

I can't help You with the network driver, but fror brightness and keys have
a look at the NC10 - wiki side. The principles should be fairly the same with
FN keys, brightness and power saving.

Good Luck,

Phil 

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samsung_NC10

Last edited by Gutti (2009-11-10 22:45:29)

#3 2009-11-30 23:11:56

Nanthiel

Hey, thanks for the answer, but I'm afraid it didn't help much, and I discovered scripts for exactly my model later on! But still can't use them, as there's no Arch present on my Eee!

Is there a way to install the core package, get the new Kernels from somewhere (where the WIRED connection is supposed to work?) and install them without a connection?
That would probably solve my problems. smile

I really don't like the Ubuntu Netbook Remix anymore.. the configuration files are dirty, and it's slow. GRUB2 is a pain and so is the loading bar after login.. oh where is the command line! sad

Thank you!

#4 2009-12-01 08:52:22

jocheem67

What I did was simple: took my wpa2 off of my router for a moment and connected through wlan0. Steps are in the wiki (beginners). During install this was a bit of a pain as wireless through ath9k is a bit of a mess...
Somewhere during install, where I installed xorg I think, I connected through a wire and got a connection through eth0...this might have been accomplished after a kernel-upgrade though.

So wireless is basically supported from within the kernel (ath9k). Surely one can use a wepkey or even wpa through wpa_supplicant, but that's a configfile to be truly "hated";)

It's surly better to enjoy Arch than UNR, regarding speed. Kms works with the inteldriver, no xorg.conf is needed, flash works properly....i'm pretty sure that Arch is the distro to go with on these asus netbooks
( As a matter of fact I'm gonna take the thing to a meeting later on with some computer-savvy folks tonight...do me some serious showing off there!! )

The internal mic can be turned on after an upgrade to alsa 1.0.21.

Hope the wireless trick can apply to your situation.

#5 2009-12-01 12:35:53

Nanthiel

Sadly it can't. sad

I don't have a wireless router. And the only wireless connection that is available to me is at school (which is highly impractical), and it needs a configured wpa_supplicant to work. Which would be a lot of a pain. I also think ethernet starts to work after a kernel upgrade, that's why I would like to find a way to upgrade my kernel offline. smile

Sorry for my in-expertise, but what is KMS?

#6 2009-12-01 13:28:16

jocheem67

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

Not important or you right now, I guess...

Maybe you can search the forum for a howto on kernels on usb-flashdrives and how to get the installer recognize and use them...

Or go outside and look around for an unencrypted accesspoint....could be a go though a bit illegal...

#7 2009-12-01 13:57:22

Nanthiel

Thanks for the KMS link! Seems awesome.
I thought installing a different Kernel would be as simple as getting the packages and 'pacman -U'-ing them. =/

I am thinking of finding an unencrypted access point, I'll see how I'll decide. So far Ubuntu works, and I'm not prepared to cripple it to try and install Arch if I'm not sure it's going to work. And I don't think I can spend hours outside stealing a connection now that it's winter. =P

#8 2009-12-01 14:02:27

big_gie

Arch is the best for the Eee wink I own an 1000 and am really satisfied with it!

So tricky setup you have. I can always download packages somewhere and transfer them manually to the eee. For example, if you only want the kernel, do something like this:
On your main computer:
pacman -Syw kernel26
which will download the kernel package to /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
Note that you might need to download dependencies too (like kernel26-firmware)

Put the needed packages on a usb key, and transfer them to the newly installed Arch for the upgrade.

What surprises me is that it does not work out of the box. Arch's kernel are really up to date, even the installation media are recent. I would guess it would support your machine. Are you sure the network card does not work? The easiest thing I find is to run "netcfg" from the livecd. Just before launching the installation process, go to /etc/network.d/ and copy examples/ethernet-dhcp to a file with the name of your choice, like "my_wired_connection". You don't even have to edit it. Just run "netcfg my_wired_connection" or wathever name you gave it. You'll see if the card is supported or not rigth away! And if it works, well good continue with the installation wink

There is a lot of pages on the wiki about the Eee line. Some of them are outdated. I would recommend just following the Arch's new user guide for installation as you don't need anything else.

Don't forget acpi-eeepc-generic from aur to support all Fn buttons wink

Good luck!

#9 2009-12-01 18:51:47

Nanthiel

I have the x86_64 architecture on my main PC, so I can't download the kernel files like that. I would've done it otherwise! sad
Is there a way to make it download 32bit files aswell? Or explicitly those?

And I'm sure the card doesn't work — many other people have the same problem, and dhcp just timed out every time, although the card was found by the computer. And the Core install kernel isn't up to date I think, it's from september after all.

Thanks!

#10 2009-12-01 19:25:33

big_gie

Download everything from a mirror, or from arch's main ftp: ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686/
What is the wireless card?

#11 2009-12-01 20:03:17

Nanthiel

Great! Thanks for the link! That's just what I needed! smile
Didn't know it existed. *shy*
Going to try a Core install and install the new kernel files over it, hope it will work.

The network cards are:

Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
and
Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev ff)

Last edited by Nanthiel (2009-12-01 21:19:58)

#12 2009-12-31 16:06:46

frodoontop
Website

I got some problems for my EEE PC 1001HA too, but this thread helped me through most of it wink

Basically I couldn't get any network device to work correctly. But I fixed the wired one by first installing latest core image from usb. Then manually copied the necessary files from another machine (all kernel-* and latest glibc) to the laptop. pacman -U * did install the new kernel. After reboot I could use the wired network card. This is with kernel-2.6.32.

So thanks a lot, thought I'd share my experience as well.

#13 2010-01-02 00:10:18

Nanthiel

Awesome, I will definitely try that approach, when I have the time! smile

#14 2010-02-25 22:38:19

Nanthiel

Bah! I just formatted the whole Eee in hopes that this approach will work, but the wired card cannot be found! DHCP reports it missing, and there seems to be no driver loaded for it (which one is needed?)

Now I'm stuck. Also, lspci only shows the wireless card. The kernel is new now, this is really depressing! sad

Please help!

EDIT: Woooooo!!!! Creating /etc/modprobe.conf and adding 'alias eth0 atl2' into it solved the problem! The wired card showed up, working! Now on to total pwnage, the Arch way. cool

Last edited by Nanthiel (2010-02-25 23:06:05)

#15 2010-03-21 22:23:33

scottro
Website

I found that using the latest archboot, from March 2010 worked.  As per some other threads, the older image not only didn't work with the ethernet card, but seemed to kill said card in other distributions, though a few reboots brought the card back.

#16 2010-03-21 23:12:54

Nanthiel

I'm afraid I don't know what "archboot" is, but installing the newest kernel with pacman -U worked for me. The only anomaly I'm seeing is that disabling the wireless card with Fn-F2 also makes the ethernet card disappear on reboot (PLUS the battery consumption seems to go up!), really weird, but oh well, I'm always on the way anyway. smile

#17 2010-03-22 00:38:53

phlex

I had a similar problem, same ethernet device, but I had quite a hassle fixing it. Your solution sounds very simple.
If I need to reinstall I will remeber this.. though I have no idea how ths alias helps.. wink

#18 2010-03-22 03:56:56

scottro
Website

If you go to the download pages, and see the older images, there's a separate directory called archboot.  It has a hybrid image (though it's called iso, you can dd it directly to USB.
It has the latest kernel.  The other method, of installing, and then getting the latest kernel (assuming wireless is working--I didn't try that, I just gave up when wired didn't work), should work just as well.

Board footer