You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-22 01:29:36

Marcel-

Save or view kernel messages after kernel panic on boot

I'm trying to work around a kernel issue I experience when testing a 2.6.33-ZEN-git kernel. With some configuration settings I get kernel panics almost immediately after selecting the kernel in GRUB. I get (reproducible) messages like these (although I'm a bit further now and I get i915 and drm init functions in my call trace).

Unfortunately, lots of messages pass by very quickly during boot and I'm not able to read them (of course, I can't scroll back). I already tried to get a larger text screen using vga=ask on the kernel command line, but 80x60 is still too small.

Is there a way to view all messages one way or another or to save them somewhere?

(Of course I could also borrow a digital video camera and see if something meaningful is recorded, but I'd like to do this in a bit less cumbersome way. wink)

Last edited by Marcel- (2010-03-22 01:31:11)

#2 2010-03-22 15:54:00

Ber
Website

Re: Save or view kernel messages after kernel panic on boot

If you have another computer around, you can connect it to your buggy one with a serial link and output boot messages to ttyS0 by appending this to your "kernel" line in grub/menu.lst :

console=ttyS0,115200n8

On the other side use kermit or minicom to see to boot messages (if Windows try Hyperterminal or puTTY). If you can't see any serial port look inside, sometimes you can find one on your motherboard, or use a USB->serial converter

Good luck

V=RI sweet V=RI

Board footer