You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-23 10:33:32

arinlares
Website

[Solved]Wicd not connecting to wireless.

I've been trying to use Wicd, and it's worked in at least one other distro I've used (preconfigured), same network, same hardware.  I've read the wiki, repeated the steps several times, and determined that there's some issue I've overlooked, if it isn't just broken software (doubtful).  I checked to see if it would connect through the ethernet port, which worked.

I ran lspci -k to get my hardware specs: Atheros ar5001 rev1 Wireless Network Adapter (controlled by ath5k kernel module), and Atheros ar8121/ar8113/ar8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller rev b0 (controlled by atl1e kernel module).  I followed the Wiki's guide for troubleshooting my issue (pacman -R wicd, and rm-rf all configs, then pacman -Sy wicd), so I'm using the very latest version available in the repo.  Thank you in advace for any help I can get.

Last edited by arinlares (2010-03-24 01:24:47)

#2 2010-03-23 13:20:16

perbh

Re: [Solved]Wicd not connecting to wireless.

Why don't you try with "no protection" (ie no WEP, WPA, WPA-supplicant) first and see if you can make it work. Then you can also add on the security afterwards (if you have access to your access-point that is ...)

#3 2010-03-23 15:33:25

csat

There are some steps to taken.

1) you have to install/configure your wireless hardware using the right driver;
2) then check if the hardware is working as it should using iwlist scan to show your nearby wireless signals.  If not showing anything your hardware is not working or there are no wifi signals around;
3) I am not sure but I think your user should be in the network group (gpasswd -a userid network);
4) The file /etc/rc.conf should have DAEMONS=(... wicd ...)
5) Start wicd-client;

My notebook has different hardware (Broadcom BCM4312) so it is, in general, the  steps I took to configure wireless using wicd.

Good luck.

CSAT
Arch User

#4 2010-03-23 16:38:51

delcake

There was a particular wireless network about a month back I was unable to connect to despite it having no security at all. Turns out that my hardware clock was about 13 hours fast, and once I fixed that I was able to connect straight away into the network. Spent two weeks troubleshooting that one for such an odd fix...

I doubt this is your problem, but I figured I'd speak up just in case. tongue

#5 2010-03-23 21:39:46

arinlares
Website

perbh wrote:

Why don't you try with "no protection" (ie no WEP, WPA, WPA-supplicant) first and see if you can make it work. Then you can also add on the security afterwards (if you have access to your access-point that is ...)

Tried connecting to an unsecured access point, with no success, if that's of any use.  I can't turn off the encryption on my modem, as too many devices rely on it.

csat wrote:

There are some steps to taken.

1) you have to install/configure your wireless hardware using the right driver;
2) then check if the hardware is working as it should using iwlist scan to show your nearby wireless signals.  If not showing anything your hardware is not working or there are no wifi signals around;
3) I am not sure but I think your user should be in the network group (gpasswd -a userid network);
4) The file /etc/rc.conf should have DAEMONS=(... wicd ...)
5) Start wicd-client;

My notebook has different hardware (Broadcom BCM4312) so it is, in general, the  steps I took to configure wireless using wicd.

Good luck.

I've done all of that.  Everything works with nm-applet/NetworkManager, and my user is in the network group.  My wireless driver is ATH5k, my rc.conf has dbus and wicd in proper order, with networkmanager and network disabled.  wicd-client runs at login, even.  So far as I know, everything is correct, yet it still doesn't work.

#6 2010-03-24 01:24:22

arinlares
Website

Solved.  Overlooked the option to use dhcpcd as my DHCP client.

Board footer