You are not logged in.

#26 2005-03-10 06:09:04

iBertus

Re: 2005 Predictions, Microsoft style

I thought the point was that MS uses parts of IE in the operating system. You can't get away from using IE in Windows. If you fire up the file manager (explorer) then you're using parts of IE. If you use the MS help center then you're using parts of IE. I guess on the same note you could attack Apple for including Safari with OS X, except that Safari isn't required for OS X to function correctly.

I guess that MS has the right to provide whatever they want with their products but when they start making it difficult to make move to another product then it's a problem.

#27 2005-03-11 22:36:57

skoal
Website

iBertus wrote:

If you fire up the file manager (explorer) then you're using parts of IE.

That's a good point, but I honestly don't remember needing IE installed to use explorer.  In Windows, I'm pretty sure I always had the option to "leave out" (uncheck) IE/Outlook as part of the installation process, or even "remove" it later from the control panel.  And explorer worked fine with just Netscape installed.

What I did find troubling though, and I will grant you guys this point...is that I vaguely remember (also) that when you actually installed Netscape, I'll be durned it certain things started acting "funky" in Windows.  Whether that was a shitty^H^H^H^H^H^Hcrappy^H^H^H^H^Hbad Netscape release or something intentionally hidden in Windows services was something I never could figure out.

iBertus wrote:

[...]but when they start making it difficult to make move to another product then it's a problem.

I have a little problem following that logic.  General Motors has an exclusive contract with "On-Star" which bundles that system in their prodcuts at the factory.  Most GM owners are very comfortable using On-Star because it just plain works.  They have no option to remove or install that product outside of purchasing (or using) another vehicle, or having a dealership remove it and installing an alternative.  How is that any different than Windows bundling IE?  Why should said car manufacturer be held liable for doing so?  And why do people continually disassociate the Software Industry as an exception to all others?  If anything, it's a hell of a lot easier to uninstall IE than it is to uninstall On-Star...

#28 2005-03-11 23:01:24

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Two words. Convicted Monopoly.
That makes all the difference.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer