You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-24 00:27:07

whaler

[Solved] Motherboard frustration

One of my motherboards is an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2. It loses my BIOS configuration if I turn off the power supply switch or pull the plug (after a normal system shutdown). If I just turn off the system - by closing down from Arch or pushing the (motherboard's) on/off switch - my BIOS configuration is remembered/retained.

I have had a few computers over the years, but never seen this. Changing the battery has not helped.

Any ideas?

Last edited by whaler (2010-03-25 01:21:14)

#2 2010-03-24 00:33:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Motherboard frustration

Just to clarify, you changed the CMOS battery? Not sure if motherboards have any OTHER batteries, but you never know...

Other than that, perhaps the connections have failed (CMOS battery connections).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-03-24 01:20:19

whaler

Yes, the CMOS battery. It's not a laptop, so I don't know of any other batteries myself... wink

Poor or broken connections sound like plausible causes. BTW, I had always thought that the battery took over as soon as the system (not the power supply) was switched off. I am a bit confused...

#4 2010-03-24 09:46:47

Ultraman

Indeed, the battery should take over when the system powers down.
Point of interest: Does the system also forget the current time or does that keep intact?

Have you tried resetting your BIOS?
Unplug the power cord going to the PC. And use the CMOS reset jumper or button on the motherboard, unless you don't have one, in that case you can pull out the battery for several seconds and put it back.

Have you double checked the voltage the battery is supplying? Preferable not with the computer, using a multimeter is recommended.

#5 2010-03-24 10:15:21

lilsirecho
Veteran

Check the battery for contamination on its surfaces......

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2010-03-24 11:44:01

ozar

Just throwing another idea out there, but make sure the battery polarity is properly observed when putting it into the battery socket on the motherboard.

oz

#7 2010-03-24 17:16:02

whaler

Thanks to all for good tips to try!

However, meanwhile it turns out, when I (belatedly...) finally checked the ASUS forum, that this is a known issue with this particular motherboard. New, good, clean battery will not help. A theory has it that the problem only affects systems with graphic cards with extra/separate power supply - i.e. most newer/high end cards...

Dispite the lively discussions in the ASUS forum (last summer), I have found no solution posted anywhere. The ASUS folks aren't exactly talkative...

I could try to upgrade the BIOS firmware, but I have never done that in Linux. How do you guys go about it? Must we still rely on DOS?

@Ultraman
Yes, the time and date 'disappear' as well, i.e. they're set to 1 Jan 2001 or thereabouts :-(

Last edited by whaler (2010-03-24 17:25:05)

#8 2010-03-24 18:26:25

ozar

whaler wrote:

I could try to upgrade the BIOS firmware, but I have never done that in Linux. How do you guys go about it? Must we still rely on DOS?

Check your motherboard manual for details on what you'll need to do because many of the more recent mainboards can be flashed without having to use Windows or DOS. I used neither of them on my last upgrade.

oz

#9 2010-03-25 01:20:16

whaler

Yes, ASUS provides a utility called "EZ Flash 2". I've been afraid of trying it... I'll call this issue solved, then, and go read.

Board footer