You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-23 19:45:04

contrasutra

ANOTHER problem with 2.6 kernel

Damn you -mm4, I knew it was too good to be true.

On -mm4 (not -mm3), Whenever trying to boot into it through LILO, it says the root filesystem isnt found, and I have to apped a "root=" manually to get it to boot.

The root= entry in lilo.conf is correct, why cant it find it with the config, but it can with manual entry?!

Im thinking it has something to do with devfs, but I dont know.

PS. Why does Arch use devfs? Ive had nothing but problems with it, and its obsoleted in the 2.6 kernel.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#2 2003-09-23 20:11:40

sarah31
Website

Re: ANOTHER problem with 2.6 kernel

contrasutra wrote:

PS. Why does Arch use devfs? Ive had nothing but problems with it, and its obsoleted in the 2.6 kernel.

because devfs is better than a static /dev section which forces piles of pointless device files upon you.

as for devfs being "gone" in 2.6...its not it has been rewritten and now goes by a different name but with almost the same functioning.

personally i think devfs is better than both static and what i was reading about the "transformed" devfs in 2.6. maybe that is why i can side with the kernel developer departing the kernel crew that created it.

as for your problem....sounds like a lilo issue and not a devfs issue as you are saying a manual entry works if it was a devfs issue then appending root= would not work either.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-09-23 20:21:30

contrasutra

Yeah, I didn't think it could be LILO tongue . Makes sense. Is arch using the latest version?

And according the "make xconfig" for 2.6-test5, DevFS is still called that, but its marked with "OBSOLETE".

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#4 2003-09-23 22:11:00

contrasutra

Some guy on OSNEWS told me how to fix it and it worked. You just have to remove one "!" from a source file. Easy.

Its in the "Linux 2.6 Kernel" thread in OSNEWS.

Board footer