You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-23 03:35:58

sud_crow
Website

Some issues (southbridge, agpgart and clean screen at boot)

Hi,

I have this issues,

1) The southbridge is having some kind of problem, it says something like:
IDE SPEED NOT SUPPORTED, GOING TO 33Mhz
This i assume has to do with ATA33/66, my HDs are ATA66, but for what i understand this is measured in MB/s not in Mhz, anyway, if this is the case, i know the cause (dont have an 80pin IDE cable) but if it isnt, i dont know what it means.

2) agp_gart: says unsupported or unkown, try agp_unsupported=1 or something similar, where should i try that line? (file)

3) The screen is cleaned when the system finishes booting, i dont like that.
I removed the clean "command" at top of the /etc/issue file, but it keeps doing it, and i cant do "Rev Page"  becouse it "cuts" the last screen, making it usless -also i know there is a log where i could look, but i dont know where it is.

Any help appreciated. thanks.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2003-09-23 21:28:12

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Some issues (southbridge, agpgart and clean screen at boot)

Here's a few things to try:

sud_crow wrote:

2) agp_gart: says unsupported or unkown, try agp_unsupported=1 or something similar, where should i try that line? (file)

I'm guessing that you should put something like "alias /dev/agp* agp_gart agp_unsupported=1" in your /etc/modules.conf file.  I'm not sure of the name of the actual module.  I'm assuming agp_gart since that is what you referred to.

sud_crow wrote:

3) The screen is cleaned when the system finishes booting, i dont like that.
I removed the clean "command" at top of the /etc/issue file, but it keeps doing it, and i cant do "Rev Page"  becouse it "cuts" the last screen, making it usless -also i know there is a log where i could look, but i dont know where it is.

After it boots, try doing a SHFT-PageUP and see if that scrolls back at all.  You can use the dmesg command to get the log of hardware detection/initialization during boot, but it won't contain entries for starting services/daemons.

Good luck,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#3 2003-09-23 21:55:47

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You actually want something more like "options agp_gart agp_unsupported=1" in /etc/modules.conf (if agp_gart is the module)

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-09-24 09:27:34

sud_crow
Website

hi,

i will check about agp_gart and post back.
about the "clean at (finish) boot time", the problem is that when i do Av-Pag or Rev-Pag as i sayd before, cleans up the last part, the modules loading and such... i want to see that. thats why i dont want the "clean at (finish) boot time".

thanks.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

Board footer