You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-25 01:01:48

martin77

How to make GRUB update menu.lst automatically?

hi,

I have installed Linux Mint and when today I installed Arch it overwrote GRUB but without Linux Mint entries. In Mint (Ubuntu/Debian) you can just do a update-grub from CLI and GRUB will automatically search for every operating system installed and add it automatically to it boot list.

How do I do this in Arch? I found some old post related to manually editing menu.lst and so on, but I wonder if there's a faster way to achieve this roll I started few hours ago and it's night right now and I really want to leave Mint booting for my tomorrow work tonight, I would hate to start everything tomorrow again.

By the way, I'm struggling installing my videocard drivers but I know Arch is MY distro, it's beautifully simple and pragmatic. And fast. And small. I love it!, no doubt about it. And you people are an incredible community, thanks for all your support.

#2 2010-03-25 01:55:00

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: How to make GRUB update menu.lst automatically?

What's wrong with

title  GNU/Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/iminur-filez-readin-ur-directories ro quiet
initrd /boot/kernel26.img
savedefault

?

(I'm assuming you're using grub legacy as grub2 has some autoupdate stuff like that which you are looking for.)

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-03-25 03:37:09

martin77

hi fsckd!

well, I think it's legacy because it's the one that came in the fresh Arch install and after doing the initial pacman -Syu didn't noticed a change to GRUB2.

I suspect I need to mount partition containing Mint install and look into it's /boot, but how do I get the UUID in Arch? I think I remember using vol_id back in Ubuntu but I'm not sure this will work in Arch.

I have a lovely little goat waiting here.

#4 2010-03-25 07:45:23

adrianx

Hi martin77

Run blkid to get the UUID.

#5 2010-03-27 04:48:16

martin77

You're the man adrianx! System run on wheels now, thanks! : D

#6 2010-03-27 15:18:23

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2010-03-27 16:59:48

martin77

hi Mr.Elendig and thanks for the link, I know about how UUID is important but that's a good article anyways.
What I'm totally lost is with LVM(2) - there's a link for this in the page you cite.

I know this may not be the correct thread to talk about LVM2 but I'm curious if you have any experience with that and what are basically the advantages from the traditional partitioning system. I see LVM here and there but that's still a mistery to me. Any good place to learn more about that in a simple way like a "LVM2 for Dummies" thing?

#8 2010-03-27 17:23:57

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

lvm lets you forget all about the quircs of partioning, and doesn't limit you to the pysical devices. You can resize the logical volumes as you like without having to worry about the location of the other partions. With traditional paritons you can't eg combine sda1 and sda3 into one larger partion, since there is is another partion (sdb2) in the way. With lvm2 that doesn't matter at all.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#9 2010-03-27 18:40:28

martin77

I feel now sorta a dumb for having partitioned my HDs like a caveman, thanks for the info.

Board footer