You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-26 22:37:44

murfMan

Xorg strange issue

hello, this is sort of an oddball issue.  i did a system update the other day and ever since my Xorg server is acting weird.  whenever I start up my machine i am greeted with the sLiM login screen.  I log in and then nothing. just a blank black screen.  I switch over to tty1 and do sudo killall X.  X then restarts itself somehow and i finally get my desktop.  magic?  maybe try to reconfigure xorg?

Also on an unrelated note.  sometimes when i boot my system complains about edd?  i have to add edd=off to the kernel line to get it to boot. any ideas?
here is the error.

11ca1cy.jpg

thanks for the help

#2 2010-03-27 12:24:39

Surgat_

Re: Xorg strange issue

You probably have "respawn" in /etc/inittab next to x:5:. That makes slim restart every time a session ends, which may be after logging out or after killing X. That's why X restarts when you kill it.

Your problem seems to be that your DE has some problem that prevents from starting correctly the first time, but not the second. Perhaps there is some kind of race condition, but I'm lost at this point.

#3 2010-03-27 19:27:08

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Xorg strange issue

I had a problem with awesomewm recently and it was simply because I forgot the wallpaper extension (.jpg) in the theme.lua and it was trying to load it. May not be of help but it shows that anything could be causing it. Also make sure you have the correct video drivers installed and configured in xorg.conf

Board footer