You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-28 18:47:03

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Rotate the screen in a tty?

Is it remotely possible to rotate the screen in a tty? Virtual frame buffer, screen, anything? It would be awesome to read text files horizontally on my netbook!

#2 2010-03-28 23:55:06

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Rotate the screen in a tty?

fbterm

I recommend the Terminus font.  Wide unicode characters get cropped, but hey, unicode in a tty!

#3 2015-12-27 13:32:42

Digit

if monitor rotated 90 degrees clockwise:

echo 3 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all 

or if you want to rotate your monitor 90 degrees counter clockwise:

echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all 

can set more permanently in grub with fbcon=rotate:3

(sry, i know its not the convention to reply to such old threads at archlinux forum, but the question is still relevant for many, and still websearches point here, n there's no answer here.  this will help.)  smile

fave quote of the mo': "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." - Robert Browning

#4 2015-12-27 16:17:05

ewaller
Administrator

Dang that works nicely smile  I love these forums, I learn new stuff every day.  Sometimes the things are cooler than others smile

This definitely falls under the exceptions defined by the second and third bullets in the policy you mentioned
Thanks.  Would you consider adding that to the wiki?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-01-14 13:43:32

chewtoy

Using fbcon to rotate my VT makes quitting X freeze my computer.

Using:

echo 3 | sudo tee /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/rotate_all

I then issue

startx

which starts my X session, I use AwesomeWM if that's any info to you.
I then quit Awesome, which quits X. Now, my screens are frozen.
I can't change TTY, I can't enter commands, I can't do anything.
The lights for CapsLock and NumLock lights up when I toggle those keys, so the computer isn't frozen. I just, can't do anything.

Solutions?

I really want to be able to have my VTs correctly rotated and being able to start up X and quit it without having to reboot, which I currently have to.

(also, as a side note, it's "1" for clockwise ("right" in xrandr) and "3" for counter clockwise ("left" in xrandr))

Last edited by chewtoy (2016-01-14 13:57:00)

#6 2016-01-15 01:18:44

SimSonic

chewtoy > I also encountered issues when quitting X with a rotated VT. I got around them by having the command "stty sane" run right after quitting X (e.g. by starting X with "startx; stty sane"). Hopefully that can solve your problems too.

#7 2016-01-15 15:26:14

chewtoy

SimSonic wrote:

chewtoy > I also encountered issues when quitting X with a rotated VT. I got around them by having the command "stty sane" run right after quitting X (e.g. by starting X with "startx; stty sane"). Hopefully that can solve your problems too.

Hmm.. That worked one time, the next time it got even weirder. The text on the tty was printed in both directions ('normal' and my rotated direction) and then locked up the whole thing forcing me to reboot.
But, worked one time at least!

#8 2018-10-15 22:55:00

Digit

this no longer seems to have any effect at all (anyone?).  the search for a solution resumes.

fave quote of the mo': "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." - Robert Browning

Board footer