You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-29 14:31:51

pw_f100_220

HAL/dbus fail on boot...famd messages spamming logs?

While I was working with open office writer, open office used half of my CPU and syslog-ng used the rest.  So when I shutdown and booted, HAL and dbus failed with errors such as:

starting d-bus sys messagebus FAIL
....to start message bus: failed to close "var/rund/dbus.pid": No space left on device

Starting HAL FAIL
/etc/rc.d/functions: line 192: /etc/rc.d/acpi: no such file or directory

I have a 7G / partition and I always kept it at 2G used so I thought there had to be space left.  I looked around anyway and found that /var/log was using 2.9G and /var/cache was using 1.7G. In /var/cache I found pacman's cache was using 1.7G...which it shouldn't be, but I can clear that.

In /var/log, these three files were way too big, so I looked in them:

errors.log 1G :  there are about 11million occurrances of:

...famd[1727]: fd 4 message length 13......bytes exceeds max of 4136

and then:
 syslog-ng...I/O error occurred while writing; fd='15', error='No space left on device

daemon.log 1G : about 11mil more of the same famd line
everything.log 1G

An old thread had the same problem, but it wasn't resolved...should I just try gamin?  I used to be using it but it started to use 100% cpu and never stopped until I replaced it with fam.

Sometimes I just want people to expect me to do what I would do instead of what most people would do.

#2 2010-03-29 19:28:14

bcat
Website

Re: HAL/dbus fail on boot...famd messages spamming logs?

I'd give gamin another try. It's always worked fine for me. Maybe whatever issue you were having before has been fixed.

Running Arch on a Dell Studio 1735. xmonad FTW! Dotfiles here.
Want free cloud-based file sharing? Sign up for Dropbox and we both get some bonus storage!

#3 2010-03-29 23:55:08

pw_f100_220

Re: HAL/dbus fail on boot...famd messages spamming logs?

in the meantime, how do i clear those three gig sized logs?  clearing pacman cache gave me enough room for gamin, but those three log files are still very large.  Will they just be replaced with deletion?  because I can do that...

Last edited by pw_f100_220 (2010-03-30 00:56:38)

Sometimes I just want people to expect me to do what I would do instead of what most people would do.

Board footer