You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-24 14:52:57

andrewjames
Website

error filesystem Inode has EXTENTS_FL flag set... [SOLVED]

archlinux i686
ext3 partition  /dev/sda2/   system loaded at  '/'

the system has worked with the machine for ~ 1 year.  at 'Checking Filesystems', there is a spontaneous error that is first time at this machine/system and it is new to me.

Inode 77077 has EXTENTS_FL flag set on filesystem without extents support.    [FAIL]

system will not load after this filesystem check failed.

I lack skill to repair this problem.  Will someone direct me to any resource?

thank you

Last edited by andrewjames (2010-03-31 01:54:22)

andrew james

#2 2010-03-24 15:58:58

andrewjames
Website

Re: error filesystem Inode has EXTENTS_FL flag set... [SOLVED]

an attempt to resolve the file system errors, loaded a system archlinux from disc to fsck.ext3 the filesystem partition /dev/sda2 that was error. 

the fsck.ext3 first found the error at inode 77077 that number was printed at the initial error.  then fsck found more errors, at every error there was a prompt to 'CLEAR' or 'Fix' the error.  When those plurous errors happened, I exited 'control+c' the fsck to automate the repair.

there is a switch (flag)  to fsck '-y' to answer 'yes' to all questions in attempt to repair a filesystem easier.  note, the switch '-v' prints extra description as fsck works.

once those switches were on, the filesystem found ~1000 various errors that were automatically 'CHECK'ed or 'Fix'ed. 

I have no list of all the various errors.  For the EXTENTS_FL error, when I queried help, there is few or no definate solutions.   Although I have interested to know causes to the errors, I think the errors are generic enough that the fsck automated is a routine solution.

the machine has another problem to load the basic system 'BIOS', perhaps the older age.  it often beeps at load, pre operative system loader 'grub'. 

unfortunately, after the fsck with the restore disc archlinux system that loader is now a problem.  after some forcsive machine off then on, the system may load, then I will report if the fsck worked to resolve an archlinux system that works from the filesystem at internal disc part /dev/sda2

andrew james

#3 2010-03-24 17:39:52

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Edit: Looks like the fs have been mounted as ext4 at some point. The best thing you could to is probably to just use it as ext4.
Edit2: Do you have more than one disc? do you happen to have a ext4 partion on the second partion of one of the other discs?

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2010-03-24 17:42:15)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2010-03-31 01:54:01

andrewjames
Website

the fsck solved the problems

no, I never tried to use the one disc in the machine as ext4,  it is in three partitions, microsoft at sda1, other two partitions are ext3

andrew james

Board footer