You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-30 03:28:00

Cows

dhclient and dhcpcd both fail on eth0 during Arch Linux install.

I'm trying to install Arch using the Core USB Image on my ASUS EEE PC 1005PEB netbook, but my dhclient and dhcpcd both fail on eth0. My wireless card is detected but I don't know how to use it to connect to a WPA network. Even with wpa_supplicant, I don't know. I usually just use Network Manager GUI on GNOME or w/e KDE uses to connect to WPA networks. I'm assuming that it's because the kernel is too old for this netbook specifically. Kernels 2.6.31+ work I believe. I know 2.6.32 works and 2.6.33 works perfectly. The ethernet and wireless work in other distros like Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 Beta 1, Chakra Alpha 5, Sabayon 5.2.

A theory I have would be to install the Arch core, and then somehow connect to my WPA network if possible with my wireless card and then update it to the latest packages which should fix this issue. I'm going to look more into setting up wpa passphrase via cli. Any input or advice would be helpful.

- Cows (FearedBliss)

PS: Is there anyway to change your username?

#2 2010-03-30 06:08:12

Cows

Re: dhclient and dhcpcd both fail on eth0 during Arch Linux install.

Update,

I have had no success still, I was going to try the wpa_supplicant method listed in the Arch Wiki but when I tried to do iwconfig, it didn't work.

I found that there was a bug in dhcpcd 5.0.6 and that caused the time out problem. So I did two things:

dhcpcd -t 60 eth0

Which extended the time-out period but it failed.

I also looked in the Arch database for dhcpcd and download the latest dhcpcd 5.1.2 and followed the steps to compile and install it, which supposedly fixed the issue: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort … =&limit=50

Not even version 5.1.2 fixed the problem. Now it doesn't time out as fast, but the problem is still there. I then thought that it might be dhcpcd the problem, so I looked for dhclient and compiled/installed that but it still didn't work. Same exact problem as above.

I then gave-up on the ethernet. It's probably a kernel problem where it doesn't support my ethernet card in 2.6.30-ARCH. Hopefully later versions support it. Anyways, I tried a few more things.

1. Downloading wireless_tools and compiling/installing but it says I'm missing "libiw.so".
2. I tried to change my dhcp configuration to static by modifying the correct lines in /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf.

This failed as well.

#3 2010-03-30 07:28:24

ZaQ

Did you see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_1005HA ?

If you're using a 2.6.31 kernel, you need the aur. (I'm lil bit confused about the kernel you have installed...)

Last edited by ZaQ (2010-03-30 07:30:35)

#4 2010-03-30 08:33:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

Running dhcpcd/dhclient is a waste of time if you haven't got a working network interface. You need to get that going first.

If you need a newer kernel, try the alternative archboot installer - latest release was earlier this month.

#5 2010-03-30 19:30:38

Cows

The kernel that I have is the one that comes by default in the latest stable image of Arch Linux:

Current Release: 2009.08
Included Kernel: 2.6.30-ARCH

I know that anything after 2.6.30 help because in other distros, they were using later kernels.

I don't know if my network interface is working because when I turn on the computer, the kernel detects my ethernet and makes it eth0. It's just that I can't get it to connect to my router.

Also if I reboot, my eth0 doesn't get detected. I have to poweroff, then turn on, or poweroff, remove battery, wait a few minutes, and turn on.

Where do I find the "alternative archboot installer"?

EDIT:

This is what I've found http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/archboot/ , but I don't know how to use this.

Last edited by Cows (2010-03-30 19:45:26)

#6 2010-03-30 22:50:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

Archboot details here.

#7 2010-03-30 23:50:35

Mektub

cows,

I have had no success still, I was going to try the wpa_supplicant method listed in the Arch Wiki but when I tried to do iwconfig, it didn't work.

I did it this way:

backup your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Modify your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in my case i deleted all example configurations except the first one and changed
the ssid and psk to that of my WLAN.

Start the Wlan interface

ifconfig wlan0 up

You should now be able to scan for available Wireless Networks

iwlist wlan0 scan

Thats nearly it. Log in to another tty (Alt + F2) if necessary and start the wpa_supplicant.

wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d

Go back to tty1 and dhcpd the wlan interface

dhcpcd wlan0

after dhcpcd is finished you should be able to ping any network address

I don't know if my network interface is working because when I turn on the computer, the kernel detects my ethernet and makes it eth0. It's just that I can't get it to connect to my router.

Also if I reboot, my eth0 doesn't get detected. I have to poweroff, then turn on, or poweroff, remove battery, wait a few minutes, and turn on.

You don't say what kind of an ethernet controller you have.

I have an Asus laptop N61JQ that says it has a Attansic Tech dev 1603 (rev. C0), but Window$ says it is
a Atheros AR8131 PCI-E.

It showed exactly the same symptoms, disappeared, had to poweroff, remove battery. Kernel didn't help, 2.6.32 same
trouble.

With last stable Ubuntu no problem, ethernet controller was fully functional.

I got it working with this:

http://tinyurl.com/yevtoaj

Download the driver source and follow the instructions. Gunzip first and ignore the errors, it's just garbage after the end.

Hope it helps.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#8 2010-03-31 03:44:52

Cows

The above doesn't work for me because when I get to: iwlist wlan0 scan, it says command not found.

I don't have any wireless tools installed. I'm going to try the arch boot tomorrow and report back the changes.

As for the network cards on my computer, they are the following (from lspci):

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

EDIT:

I decided to try Arch Boot earlier and it worked.

Thanks everyone for your help. Arch Boot worked like a charm. When I do pacman -Syu it says that there are some packages that are newer then others, what should I do? Should I downgrade or stay with the newer ones?

Last edited by Cows (2010-03-31 04:20:21)

#9 2010-03-31 07:26:40

ZaQ

I guess, your server is out of date...

Change the server.

#10 2010-03-31 15:57:00

Cows

I don't think so. I changed to over 5 mirrors in different countries and all of them have the same response. I guess the Arch Boot provides a few newer packages.

Board footer