You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-27 20:04:07

Xi0N
Website

Map a folder as usb device

Ok, here is my idea, i dont know if there is any way to do it, but the idea (i think) is good:

I have a new tv that has a USB port, so you can plug any hard drive/usb key on it, and play the movies on it...
The problem is that i dont have a disk big enough for doing so, and copying HD movies to it everytime i want to play them would be slow.
I have a male to male usb cable, my idea is, is there any way that i plug my pc to my tv via that male to male cable and make, as if the whole computer were a external hard drive, and make a folder be browseable from the tv by this method? Something like mapping the folder to the usb port...........
I say again, i dont know either if this is possible or even if is a dumb question, but there i leave it just in case anyone comes with some idea....

Thanks!

#2 2010-03-31 17:22:03

Slurp53

Re: Map a folder as usb device

I thought your question was an interesting one so I poked around a little bit and generally here is what I came up with.  It can be done, but it takes special hardware.  The hardware on your computer is 'host' hardware, you need 'client' (or 'gadget' it seems to be called sometimes) hardware.  There are kernel drives for the hardware if you can find it.  I couldn't find any place to buy the hardware, but I didn't look that hard either.  Warning:  Don't plug two host devices together.  Seems that the power (5v) that each host device can provide will cause a short out.  Makes perfect sense.

I may be all wet here.  Feel free to correct me....

Board footer