You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-01 08:23:00

Tazzlest

What is this? Graphics possibly?

Well after spending a few hours looking into Arch Linux and studying on how to install the distro, I finally was able to figure out how to get everything to install correctly. The problem however now is when I boot...seems as if the graphics or something weird is going on as the whole kdm login manager is, well I don't know how to describe it, it is like funky. I am not sure if this is graphics related or what let alone how I can go about fixing it. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this issue as I heard many great things about Arch Linux and it's a shame that I can't use it yet as the screen is un-viewable. If it helps I installed it on an Asus Eee Pc 1005ha and I shall provide a img to the problem below. Please help asap if possible with instructions on how to approach this issue. Thank you for your time smile. In my first installation I chose to go with LXDE and the SLiM login manager and it was the same so I figured it might have been due to something LXDE related and not functioning right with Arch, however it does it with KDE as well.

archlinux.jpg

#2 2010-04-01 09:22:07

Cdh

Re: What is this? Graphics possibly?

If I had to guess I would say that xorg doesn't get the resolution of the netbook (1024x600 I guess?) right.

First I would disable the login manager and work on the command line. Is the console in high resolution? It has to because i915 now requires KMS.

Is it only the login manager or is it also distorted also when typing startx /usr/bin/startlxde?
If yes, I would try if I could "blindly" run xrandr, ALT+F2 is the run dialog in LXDE I guess, so pressing ALT+F2, then type xrandr -s 1024x600

Maybe in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and dmesg there is some useful information, if you can provide it.

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#3 2010-04-01 09:56:46

evot

I got same problem, when i had wrong driver in xorg.

You may need xf86-video-intel installed.

Then check that you have this in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In Device section you need to have

Driver "intel"

Hope this helps. smile

#4 2010-04-01 17:55:22

Tazzlest

Ok well I redid the installation and put LXDE on the system with slim login manager however now when I type in my username and password it says "failed to execute login command" then goes back to the login screen for SLiM, anyone know how to fix this? The intel driver is installed now however now its just a matter of actually logging in as it keeps giving me that error above, anyone know how to fix this?

#5 2010-04-02 09:50:50

evot

Board footer