You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-03 18:38:27

sDoky

DBUS drives me crazy

Hi, what the hell is going on with dbus lately? I cannot do anything it forbids me to do anything. I cannot find any documentation, I am desperate. What should I do? I cannot use wicd, I cannot use X server, I can nothing. now even root cannot. I am tearing my hair off my head. I cannot take this any longer. HELP PLEASE

Linux!

#2 2010-04-03 18:40:05

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: DBUS drives me crazy

Posting some error messages would be helpful. It's very difficult to diagnose 'it forbids me to do anything' without them.

Moving...

#3 2010-04-03 18:50:39

sDoky

e.g.

[sdoky@sdoky-r400 ~]$ wicd-curses
Can't connect to the daemon, trying to start it automatically...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1022, in <module>
    setup_dbus()
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1014, in setup_dbus
    dbus_ifaces = dbusmanager.get_dbus_ifaces()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 36, in get_dbus_ifaces
    return DBUS_MANAGER.get_dbus_ifaces()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 62, in get_dbus_ifaces
    if not self._dbus_ifaces: connect_to_dbus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 48, in connect_to_dbus
    return DBUS_MANAGER.connect_to_dbus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 79, in connect_to_dbus
    proxy_obj = self._bus.get_object("org.wicd.daemon", '/org/wicd/daemon')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

this is the biggest error. What has happened to dbus? there were no problems, and after recent update it is literally a pain in the ass

EDIT: this assumes some window manager is running, why couldn"t I use wicd-curses just from console? I tried everything archwiki suggested, the dbus startup and the wicd aid (ck-launch-session dwm). didnt work

Last edited by sDoky (2010-04-03 19:02:44)

Linux!

#4 2010-04-03 20:49:09

berbae

sDoky wrote:

Hi, what the hell is going on with dbus lately? I cannot do anything it forbids me to do anything. I cannot find any documentation, I am desperate. What should I do? I cannot use wicd, I cannot use X server, I can nothing. now even root cannot. I am tearing my hair off my head. I cannot take this any longer. HELP PLEASE

Did you upgrade dbus while it was running ?
Did you restart the dbus/hal daemons since you upgraded ?

It seems safer to upgrade dbus from a console without X server running, and after having stopped the dbus/hal daemons.
Restart them after the upgrade.

Now that the upgrade is done, you can try to restart the dbus/hal daemons in a console without X server running.
And maybe also you can try to reinstall the dbus package, while the daemon is stopped, if the restart is not enough.

Apart from that, I don't see what could have happened to your installation.
I had not this kind of issue, but I follow the way described above for the dbus upgrade.

#5 2010-04-03 23:22:12

sDoky

reinstall helped. my system must have been messy... I am not happy about the reinstall, though. of course I do that the way you described. I turn off every unnecessary daemon and run th upgrade. after a reboot I couldn't do anything. now it's ok. the wicd problem was, that I had to run dbus before wicd

Linux!

Board footer