You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-13 00:07:31

dp
Website

rosegarden ... some experiments

after some experiments with rosegarden, here a short piece that i reconstructed from my head:
http://daperi.home.solnet.ch/music/rg/e … rale_r1.rg
... if i got something wrong, feel free to inform me that i can fix it

also i started to write one of my favourites: für elise:
http://daperi.home.solnet.ch/music/rg/exp/fuerelise.rg
but i run into a problem: how can you insert the repeat-sign in rosegarden? i'm simply too lazy to retype the whole part again, and copying does not work really good in rosegarden (respectively i don't know how to use it correctly) --- actually: i don't know how the repeat-sign is called in english (never learned music-words in english - it's kind of no-music-language to me)

also, if you wrote some notes, feel free to post in this thread

discussion opened!

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2005-03-13 11:40:02

Pajaro

Re: rosegarden ... some experiments

Instead of having a long segment and all the staff, use a segment for every part of the song. Then, If you want to repeat a segment just click the repeat checkbox in the sequencer window having the desired segment selected. The staff now will have the repeat symbol

#3 2005-03-13 12:25:26

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

Instead of having a long segment and all the staff, use a segment for every part of the song. Then, If you want to repeat a segment just click the repeat checkbox in the sequencer window having the desired segment selected. The staff now will have the repeat symbol

thank you very much for the help! alone i never would have figured this out.

#4 2005-03-13 13:49:10

dp
Website

http://daperi.home.solnet.ch/music/rg/exp/fuerelise.rg

updated ... and still working on it

some parts sound strange (as if they are not in synch and the tempo is wrong - no idea how to fix this)

however, it can be becaues i use fluidsynth

#5 2005-03-13 14:48:39

Pajaro

the parts that sound strange sound well if you assign a diferent channel to each track. Using fluidsynth you should asign synth 1 to track 1 and synth 2 to track 2... and done

#6 2005-03-13 14:55:31

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

the parts that sound strange sound well if you assign a diferent channel to each track. Using fluidsynth you should asign synth 1 to track 1 and synth 2 to track 2... and done

cool! now it sounds better :-)

... but now jack says it is loosing samples (on the more difficult part of the piece playing it) ... maybe jack needs exercising it more often, so that it is able to play it, eh?  lol

thanx

#7 2005-03-13 15:04:17

Pajaro

increase the frames/period and the predios/buffer

I find better perfomance increasing periods/buffer.

#8 2005-03-13 15:14:08

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

increase the frames/period and the predios/buffer

I find better perfomance increasing periods/buffer.

cool! jack is really nice, if you know how to operate it ;-)

... now i have to figure out, how to make amarok output to jackd (gst-engine with jacksink does not work somehow) so that i don't need to kill it every time i play some oggs, but this is another story

muchos gracias!

#9 2005-03-13 15:24:45

Pajaro

i've added some quick sensibility to the first segment. You have to add this with the matrix editor, and then going to view -> Velocity bar or something similar (i have it in spanish)

I've send you this by email.

#10 2005-03-13 15:53:51

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

i've added some quick sensibility to the first segment. You have to add this with the matrix editor, and then going to view -> Velocity bar or something similar (i have it in spanish)

I've send you this by email.

i found it:

composition -> tempo and time signature -> open tempo and sign. editor

yay! thanx yet again for the help

#11 2005-03-13 16:13:34

Pajaro

Tempo is the speed of the piece, Velocitity is the intensity at which every note is played.

I refer to the intensity at which every note is played. Set every note intensity in order to obtain more realistic playback.

#12 2005-03-13 17:40:25

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

Tempo is the speed of the piece, Velocitity is the intensity at which every note is played.

I refer to the intensity at which every note is played. Set every note intensity in order to obtain more realistic playback.

oh - now i understand what you meant. yes the expression how to play is also important but i didn't think this is possible to tell rosegarden. what i wanted is to make it slower in some parts (change the tempo) and now i know how to

after playing with rosegarden, i finished für elise and it plays fine now!

the rosegarden file can be found here:

http://daperi.home.solnet.ch/music/

also i found out that you need good soundfont to have good sound

#13 2005-03-14 08:49:37

Pajaro

Now I can play full furelise in the piano smile (i lost my copy of the staff some years ago)

If I get the time and the pacience I'll try to add velocity expresion to the full piece. Just velocity expresion because tempo expression implies a constant and irregular tempo variation, and you can get crazy if you try to transcribe it with rosegarden (or any other program).

#14 2005-03-14 09:06:32

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

Now I can play full furelise in the piano smile (i lost my copy of the staff some years ago)

If I get the time and the pacience I'll try to add velocity expresion to the full piece. Just velocity expresion because tempo expression implies a constant and irregular tempo variation, and you can get crazy if you try to transcribe it with rosegarden (or any other program).

yes, it already really sounds great. since i installed a 30mb soundfont for a stainway grand piano, it sounds almost as real ;-)

if you enhance it, feel free to email it to me, so that i update it on the website (btw: i wrote 2 other pieces and put them there)

what is the simpliest way to record directly to ogg vorbis while playing a song in rosegarden/fluidsynth/jack? (i want to send a friend the piece and tell him that this is synthisized in linux using free software)

... and now i only need some lots of money to buy a real midi and a piano with added sensors + midi-output for also recording things directly to rosegarden (input some configurations of staff is tricky in rosegarden and needs training and time - playing it on the piano is much faster and if rosegarden records it correctly this would be the definitive solution for composing things - yay! - the future is open, the future is linux, eh? ;-) )

(i tried capella on windows 3.11 and laughted at its possibilities about 8 years ago - now rosegarden is not much richer on features but this features are at least usable (capella was very un-reliable in input + saving staff correctly))

Pajaro, thank you for the hints that helped me finally know how to use rosegarden

#15 2005-03-15 00:13:03

Pajaro

what is the simpliest way to record directly to ogg vorbis while playing a song in rosegarden/fluidsynth/jack?

i've been looking in rosegarden and it seems that there is no option to export waveforms... what i'll is redirect soundcard output to record channel... and record it.

#16 2005-03-15 11:31:31

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

what i'll is redirect soundcard output to record channel... and record it.

how do you redirect "soundcard output to record channel"? remember: while jack is running, no other linux apps that cannot connect to jack can use the hw:0 (/dev/dsp)

#17 2005-03-15 16:27:39

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Pajaro wrote:

i've been looking in rosegarden and it seems that there is no option to export waveforms... what i'll is redirect soundcard output to record channel... and record it.

It might be OT, but audacity can do that.

#18 2005-03-15 16:34:38

dp
Website

Snowman wrote:
Pajaro wrote:

It might be OT, but audacity can do that.

not at all OT ;-)

jack uses the soundcard and audacity cannot open it :-(

#19 2005-03-15 17:08:53

jochen

Use ardour. Connect fluidsynth's outputs with ardours inputs in qjackctl.

#20 2005-03-15 18:17:51

dp
Website

jochen wrote:

Use ardour. Connect fluidsynth's outputs with ardours inputs in qjackctl.

danke vielmals! ... now i have it in ardour ... how to use ardour i have to learn, but it is at least in waveform analogue instead of a seq/midi :-)

#21 2005-03-16 09:33:48

Pajaro

you could also redirect jack outputs to rosegarden channels... the waveforms it creates have to be saved somewhere, or directly open them with ardour from rosegarden.

#22 2005-03-18 17:45:24

dp
Website

Pajaro wrote:

you could also redirect jack outputs to rosegarden channels... the waveforms it creates have to be saved somewhere, or directly open them with ardour from rosegarden.

the rosegarden audio channels are a little bit confusing to me (external editor and this - i tried audicity) ... ardour is a really cool tool, but with a little bit too much features atm ;-) ... but i'm learning

Board footer