You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-04 12:58:48

mohtasham1983

How to set flash's or browsers' default sound device to PCI sound card

Hi,

My on-board sound card broke the other day, so I had to buy a new pci card. I connected the new pci sound card to my computer, disabled the on-board device through the BIOS and booted the computer and everything worked like a charm.

Then I connected my new logitech webcam which comes with a built-in microphone. I enabled the necessary module for it and restarted the computer and noticed webcam was working alongside its microphone. I tried to listen to music using amarok and it worked well. Tried to watch a movie using smplayer, I couldn't hear anything. Tried VLC and it worked fine. Then on smplayer option I noticed that the sound card it was reading was actually my webcam which has just a microphone and not a speaker. So I set the default device to my PCI card, and sound came right after this change.

I didn't hear anything from 32bin-skype for my 64 bit machine, either. So I went to the setting and selected the right device for it. Did a quick test and both speakers and microphone were working properly.

Now my only problem is Flash. I guess flash's default sound device is set to that of my webcam, that's why I cannot hear anything from youtube or other flash based websites.

Also, I just tried watching one of youtube videos using html5 on chromium, but didn't hear anything either.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can set chromium or flash default sound device to my pci card?

Also, sine other applications may want to use the sound, I was wondering if there's any way to set the entire system's default sound device to my pci card.

PS. I try to use PalseAudio Device Chooser from gnome-menu to see what it is, but it doesn't open.

Thanks in advance.

Board footer