You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-04 17:20:48

Dr Belka

[SOLVED]Root Privilege Command in Openbox Menu

This is my first post as a arch user, and I just thought I would start by saying hi!!!

Anyway, I have recently moved from CrunchBang linux 9.04 to Arch linux.  I have setup an openbox session as my default.  I have gotten everything to work so far except for one thing:

Lets say you something to the openbox menu, like gparted.  Gparted requires root privilege to run.  Under ubuntu/debian, I would simply use "gksu gparted" as the command because that would prompt me for the password and then run the program.  I am not aware of any way to do such a thing in arch linux.  Is there a simple way to do this?

-thanks

Last edited by Dr Belka (2010-04-04 17:54:48)

You're in Arch country now, boy. You want fancy gksu, you pacMAN up and install it. --Mardoct

#2 2010-04-04 17:34:46

lagagnon
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Root Privilege Command in Openbox Menu

Install gksu (sudo pacman -S gksu), then change the openbox menu to add "gksu gparted" to the menu system (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#Menus)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-04-04 17:36:04

Coacher

well.

# pacman -S gksu

Yeah, thats easy

#4 2010-04-04 17:52:15

Mardoct

You're in Arch country now, boy. You want fancy gksu, you pacMAN up and install it.

Also note gksu comes with gksudo so you can use your password rather than roots - assuming you're in the sudoers file.

Last edited by Mardoct (2010-04-04 17:53:15)

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#5 2010-04-04 17:54:36

Dr Belka

Mardoct wrote:

You're in Arch country now, boy. You want fancy gksu, you pacMAN up and install it.

Ha ha, I had a feeling that I would get this sort of answer. 

Thanks guys, worked like a charm

You're in Arch country now, boy. You want fancy gksu, you pacMAN up and install it. --Mardoct

Board footer