You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-15 03:35:31

bhanuvrat

Dell studio 14 does not boot without acpi=off

I have a dell studio 1450 laptop which is having o many configuration problems that its making me pull my hair off.
For this thread, it does not boot without acpi=off on most of the distros namely ubuntu, opensuse, mandriva etc. Well what happens if I try to boot it without the flag is that the screen goes blank when the system tries to load acpi modules.

Only slackware booted off fine without turning acpi=off.

With arch linux its showing a rather more peculiar behavior sometimes it boots off fine without acpi=off and sometimes it does not.
What I am not able to understand is .. how can a stupid machine behave randomly?

I recently compiled kernel 2.6.33 on opensuse and found that the problem was solved .. can this solve the problem on arch too?

Battery meter is not available in acpi=off mode.

Help me out before I pluck each hair off my scalp and turn bald .. pleeaassseeee !!!

#2 2010-03-15 16:03:12

lagagnon
Website

Re: Dell studio 14 does not boot without acpi=off

This is a long shot but what about going into the BIOS setup and setting everything back to system defaults and try again?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-03-15 16:39:12

bhanuvrat

setting to defaults?? I didn't ever change anything and my bios does not offer much options to screw up

#4 2010-03-15 16:51:25

raf_kig

> I recently compiled kernel 2.6.33 on opensuse and found that the problem was solved .. can this solve the problem on arch too?
How about you just try it?

#5 2010-04-04 21:19:02

bhanuvrat

yeah .. somehow even I figured out that compiling a new kernel with all favorable options can be a solution for many problems.
and while doing so I am again facing problems:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=94562

help me out !!! I have already spent 7 hrs firing the make command over and over again to see it all go in vain.

regards
bhanuvrat

Board footer