You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-19 19:51:16

MP2E

Loading a module with Modprobe doesn't work, but insmod does?

Hmm, here's my issue, I compiled the Ralink 3070 driver for Arch and it works properly, but only if I issue "insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko". Issuing "modprobe rt3070sta" doesn't complain or make any error messages, but the device ra0 doesn't show up in ifconfig or iwconfig. The reason this is a big deal, is because I want to load rt3070sta from the MODULES=() entry in rc.conf but when it seems that it uses modprobe to acheive this, because when I do ra0 still doesn't show up. I can always use insmod, of course, but it's rather annoying to have to sudo the commands every single time I boot up Arch. I'd rather have a self sufficient system.

I'm thinking that modprobe is loading another rt3070sta.ko, but honestly I have no idea why it would be doing that. To my knowledge the 2.6.30 kernel series does not contain a driver for rt3070, thus my compiling it in the first place... Perhaps it's an issue of loading the firmware?(though the firmware is in /lib/firmware just as it should be)

Any theories?

17:23 < ConSiGno> yeah baby I release the source code with your mom every night
17:24 < ConSiGno> you could call them nightly builds if you know what I mean

#2 2009-09-19 21:41:56

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Loading a module with Modprobe doesn't work, but insmod does?

2.6.30 provides kernel/drivers/staging/rt3070/rt3070sta.ko - it's in staging to identify it as a driver that is not yet fully compliant with kernel standards. Delete the staging version and run depmod, and you should be OK.

#3 2010-04-06 20:12:27

sheekeebut

Re: Loading a module with Modprobe doesn't work, but insmod does?

Funny, I've got the same thing. I decided to move the staging RT3070 folder (including the module in it) to my root's home directory, just so don't lose it permanently. Then:

depmod -a
modprobe /lib/modules/[kernel version]/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko

Still gives me the FATAL ... not found error when I try to modprobe

Update: oh, forgot to throw in the firmware in /lib/firmware/
It's running smooth and silky now. Thanks for the help!

Extra Update: hmm, looks like I was wrong about the whole firmware thing. I tried the

dmesg | grep firm

and pulled up no results. so then i removed the firmware from /lib/firmware and it installed simply by using

depmod -a
modprobe rt3070sta.ko

That's why it didn't work before. Apparently modprobe doesn't need the entire path to the module.. I wonder how that works.

Last edited by sheekeebut (2010-04-07 21:52:09)

Board footer