You are not logged in.

#76 2010-02-10 22:51:09

Daisuke_Aramaki
Website

Re: Share your Ratpoison (experience)

@Lich

Awesome config man. Using ratpoison after a long long time and your config works like a charm without any issues. Thanks.

"You know what I found? Right in the kernel, in the heart of the operating system, I found a developer's comment that said, `Does this belong here?`" -- Simon Lok about Linux kernel in 2005
Reflections on the Strange and the not so Strange
http://skinwalker.wordpress.com

#77 2010-02-12 11:16:51

Lich

ありがとうございます! Coming from you, that's a real compliment smile.

@Milomouse, Ratpoison will never be replaced by anything! It's Ratpoison or anything else, there is no usable Ratpoison + extra features WM on "the market" yet. Some might say StumpWM, that until they actually try installing it. Musca does an OK job, but unless it gets a community like RP has, it's next to an alpha WM. Ratpoison is really well structured source-wise, it's so nice to actually hack it, or hunt down bugs (I myself am working on a really nasty one right now).

I got my hands on an old Thinkpad laptop yesterday. Popped Arch in there, and Ratpoison flies! (considering that laptop has 64 MB ram and a tired 500 MHz Celeron big_smile)

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#78 2010-02-12 13:31:56

rson451
Website

Lich wrote:

Ratpoison is really well structured source-wise, it's so nice to actually hack it, or hunt down bugs (I myself am working on a really nasty one right now).

Any chance you're taking feature requests? wink

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#79 2010-02-12 14:14:41

Lich

Nah, I'm just working on a bug, a really nasty one that managed to get carried on in atleast 2 versions, since it's a Ratpoison feature that almost no one uses (winliststyle as row placement). The Ratpoison mailing list is active when new messages appear. Nothing stoping you from making a request there, unless it's an useless one like `I need floating layers` tongue

#80 2010-02-12 14:51:56

rson451
Website

Nah, it's probably not something that should be added upstream.  It's annoying to me to not have an active group per screen rather than just one active group period, but I can see how that could get really confusing for most users.

--

#81 2010-02-12 14:55:51

Lich

I don't use ratpoison with multiple screens as I don't have a dualhead setup. So the groups are global? Not on a per screen basis?

#82 2010-02-12 18:26:06

milomouse
Website

@Lich: Well, I was just suggesting to the user disturb that if Ratpoison doesn't have the 'floating/managing' ability he wanted that he might try a window manager that was similar to Ratpoison (not exactly like it, or having every feature) that had the control he was looking for. Nothing more. Of course he (or any one of us) could check the code and attempt to add this behavior (I don't think it would be too difficult to have unmanaged lining an 'above all' hook but I could be horribly wrong) but it seems to me that it would create problems where there were none. To each his own, I suppose, as long as they know how to close that frame when they need to (especially if it becomes FS).

I myself use Ratpoison exclusively and haven't found a major reason to leave. Of course I've tried other window-managers and keep their configs on github for reference (as I still respect them), I cannot think of using another window-manager. And as far configs go, I don't think mine is <too> horrible: http://github.com/milomouse/dotfiles/bl … atpoisonrc

The bug in Ratpoison's row listing; are you referring to how it's only the colors and you cannot see text? If so, I have that problem too, which is the only reason I use columns and Class name (to truncate the length). I can see the text if no window is focused, but as soon as I focus one and "view window list" (in rows) it's only blocks of highlighted color. Ratpoison-git 4.6 (don't remember if I had problem before).

#83 2010-02-12 18:41:11

Lich

Yes, that's the bug. I kind of tracked it down, but my solution would fuzz up the column display. So I need to work on it some more.
Problem is in -GIT too, but it's present since atleast 1.4.5

#84 2010-02-14 21:04:51

Berticus

I don't like how banishing the mouse only moves it to the corner, so I tried to use unclutter. However, that doesn't seem to hide the mouse at all. Anybody know how to hide the mouse completely without making a custom pointer?

#85 2010-02-14 22:15:25

rson451
Website

Lich wrote:

I don't use ratpoison with multiple screens as I don't have a dualhead setup. So the groups are global? Not on a per screen basis?

Groups are not only global as in they exist on all screens, they are also global as in no matter what screen you are on when you select a group, it is now the active group for all screens.

--

#86 2010-02-14 22:16:28

rson451
Website

Berticus wrote:

I don't like how banishing the mouse only moves it to the corner, so I tried to use unclutter. However, that doesn't seem to hide the mouse at all. Anybody know how to hide the mouse completely without making a custom pointer?

I use unclutter and the following in my ratpoisonrc seems to work fine.

exec unclutter -idle 5 -jitter 2 -root &

--

#87 2010-02-14 23:03:42

Berticus

Ah, it seems I was missing exec... Thanks!

#88 2010-02-15 22:45:01

Hrod beraht

Berticus wrote:

It's probably a root background issue, as unclutter doesn't automatically remove the cursor when it's on the root background. Depending on how you have your wingravity set, terminal stuff doesn't usually cover 100% of the screen, so you likely have a pixel or two of the root window showing, where the banished cursor point is actually sitting. Just set unclutter to disappear the cursor everywhere, including the root background thusly:

~/.xinitrc

unclutter -root &

Bob

Edit: I just noticed above that some people have unclutter in their ratpoisonrc rather than xinitrc. Any advantage to that, or is it because of your login manager (which I don't have)?

Last edited by Hrod beraht (2010-02-15 22:47:43)

#89 2010-02-16 02:49:18

Berticus

Well I didn't typically banish the mouse. The issue I had was I wanted it to persistently hide, so no matter which window I switched to, it would disappear. I thought changing the root cursor to an empty cursor would solve that, but it didn't, so I had to use unclutter. Having an empty mouse meant I had to banish all the time.

I'm now wondering, is there a way for the pointer not to switch positions when switching windows?

By having it in ratpoisonrc, it means when you switch to a different wm, it won't carry over. It makes it more custom to ratpoison.

#90 2010-02-19 00:55:06

milomouse
Website

What do you mean by the mouse pointer switching positions when switching windows? My pointer doesn't move when I change focus/swap windows/close frame, etc.. Do you mean switching window-managers, or what? (Sorry if I misunderstood your question.)

#91 2010-02-19 12:52:47

rson451
Website

Berticus wrote:

I'm now wondering, is there a way for the pointer not to switch positions when switching windows?

If you mean when switching frames, check that you don't have any of the warp options set in your ratpoisonrc.

--

#92 2010-02-20 04:42:18

Berticus

rson451 wrote:
Berticus wrote:

If you mean when switching frames, check that you don't have any of the warp options set in your ratpoisonrc.

Oh, thanks. That helped.

#93 2010-03-12 12:54:39

DeathComesDriving

I just wanted to say that this is a great thread. I just installed RatPoison on my netbook and desktop and I am enjoying it so far.

#94 2010-03-19 15:01:53

JohannesSM64
Website

Finally took the time to set up ratpoison properly and I really like it. I'll probably go back to musca if/when its bugs are fixed, but for now, RP is staying.
Not much to show visually, but here's my config: http://github.com/JohannesSM64/Configs/ … atpoisonrc
Instead of a ratunbind file, I nuke unwanted keys from the source.
can't say I like how RP handles resizing though.. Sometimes, pressing left in the resize mode resizes towards right, and vice versa. Any way to get musca like behavior?

Edit: I'm having some issues.. Foremost, Deluge won't start properly from dmenu_run (but it works in other WMs)

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-03-25 13:12:28)

#95 2010-04-06 20:03:25

eyescream

This thread inspired me to give Ratpoison a try and lo and behold I have switched from Xmonad to Ratpoison!
The manual tiling is very nice and everything just feels very nice. Odd to see so few people using it, though.

#96 2010-04-06 20:45:52

JohannesSM64
Website

eyescream wrote:

Odd to see so few people using it, though.

Well, it has no mouse support (not even for changing focus), no floating layer, and doesn't really implement any freedesktop/EMWH standards. Just naming some reasons why it's not for everyone.

#97 2010-04-08 15:18:52

eyescream

JohannesSM64 wrote:
eyescream wrote:

Odd to see so few people using it, though.

Well, it has no mouse support (not even for changing focus), no floating layer, and doesn't really implement any freedesktop/EMWH standards. Just naming some reasons why it's not for everyone.

True but seeing the various setups in the screenshot threads I am still somewhat surprised not more people use it regardless. But oh well, their loss! tongue

#98 2010-04-09 23:00:21

milomouse
Website

The only problem I generally have is updating xf86-video-intel messing up my ratpoison echo. It starts with intel 2.10 and up. This is the only software that seems to have an issue with newer intel packages that I have. It causes the echo to look "static"-like, not clear/readable. It's annoying because I rely on the echo command so much. If I'm not able to use "echo" I may switch my command notifications to the uglier dzen2. sad

#99 2010-07-15 08:04:07

mentat
Website

RP rocks !
I just say goodbye xmonad, due to haskell config.
Now I fall in love with RP power.

Major good diff with xmonad :
- screens vs layouts is more productive
- switch between windows not layouts
- very very very light
- low low HD space (500Mb for haskell grrrr)
- easy-powerful unique config file, can make "all-I-always-want-but-too-time-consuming" with xmonad.
- command mode
- scripting command

Missing feature:
the floating window specially for resizing all popup/query windows

A regret:
seem the dev is frozen because the team forge Stumpwm .... please don't stop RP !!

A bug :

milomouse wrote:

The only problem I generally have is updating xf86-video-intel messing up my ratpoison echo. It starts with intel 2.10 and up. This is the only software that seems to have an issue with newer intel packages that I have.

I have a similar problem with intel GM965, the text is sometimes partially draw on message window, specially when there is no app window on screen.

#100 2010-07-16 15:37:51

milomouse
Website

@mentat: That's crazy because the last xf86-video-intel fixed my previous problem with the jarbled echo command, displays, etc. I've recently picked up on ratpoison again and am keeping it as a "just want to do something real quick" window manager for right now. The one dislike of ratpoison, for me anyway, is that the cycling windows cycles ALL windows on workspace, not the ones opened in that frame specifically. Other than that, it's still nice. :}

Board footer